Forums Latest Members
  1. Jimos Mar 12, 2017

A little backstory to add drama to my first time predicament of screwing around with this watch. Around 2011 my dad asked me if I wanted this watch which he purchased around 1969. It wasn't working, and I said I didn't have much interest in the watch, but my 20 year old son who was present said, "I'd like to have it". Good thing my son got his intelligence from his mother. Fast forward and around 2014 I figured out what we had, and had this watch serviced top to bottom by the finest Omega independent watchmaker in the business. I'm currently the caretaker of this SM300, where it's in rotation with a few other watches, and I'm doing my best to keep it in good shape and pass along to the rightful owner.
    I've been wearing since June of 2015 and the hesalite has taken a few small scratches. Nothing major. About a month ago, I was making a sales call and felt the watch brush up against a steel valve I was demonstrating to a customer. This wasn't a scratch, but more like a scuff. The scuff is in pic 3 between 11 and 12 o'clock. I kicked myself in the butt the rest of the week and all the way back to the house.
    I know you OF veterans will laugh, but this felt like I was performing open heart surgery. Lots of time on line and this forum looking at other's experiences and "how to's" in removing scratches from a hesalite crystal.
    Decided today was the day. Poured myself a screwdriver for courage, set up the operating table and started messing with the most expensive watch in my possession. Put on rubber gloves, facemask, and a hair net over my bald head to maintain a sterile environment. Fortunately all went very well. I did take the time to put a very low adhesion painters tape around the bezel. The scuff took two applications but the first application of polywatch took care of the other small scratches. Couldn't be happier with the results. Took time, with the band off, to thoroughly wipe down the case back and the rest of the watch. Poured myself a second screwdriver. Bam!
    Omega clean 1.JPG
    Omega clean 2.JPG
    Omega clean 3.JPG
    Omega clean 4.JPG
    Omega clean 5.JPG
    Omega clean 6.JPG
    Omega clean 7.JPG

gminnj, Vitezi, ahartfie and 8 others like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Mar 12, 2017

Good on you for trying out something new! :thumbsup:

I bet it was as nerve-wrecking as you say - looks great now :)

3. noiseboyuk Mar 12, 2017

Polywatch is 'genius'product.
    Does a great job on non mineral crystals and on polished steel surfaces.
    Good job.