Forums Latest Members

Here's that Polarouter which caused a little drama in a couple of threads on this awesome forum

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 12, 2013

serendipity is what i think they call it. I found this terrific forum because of this watch. Everybody here is really cool.

So, i've been looking for a rare, original polarouter for a while and was psyched when one appeared from my favorite dealer Matthew Bain in Miami. I don't like to leave my name on WTB lists because I think buyers get set-up this way...but i digress.

As people who followed the first auction know, it was a trainwreck. There was (1) long thread devoted to it and was mentioned in (2) or (3) additional theads. like i wrote: drama. When it was re-listed I was cynical and a little hestitant like many others but decided to place a fair, final bid early in the auction and at the end, my bid was hit for a what I believe was a very fair price. Matt Bain has always been a straight shooter! I'll leave that up to you to judge...

2. alam Jul 12, 2013

Nice catch! what size is the polerouter? Is that a dark blue strap? Nice combination!

citizenrich likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 12, 2013

Excellent purchase, very nice. That strap is a perfect choice, the blue accents really set off the rose gold.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 12, 2013

Nice addition. Polerouters might be the unofficial Secret Squirrel watch of Omega Forums. Doesn't seem to matter if you're a diehard Omegamaniac, lug hole Rolex loyalist, or a dyed in the wool Zenith hoarder - UG is a popular brand.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Jul 12, 2013

You're strange and a bit sarcastic. You'll fit right in here! :p

ps - got a black dial stainless Polerouter caliber 218 myself. :thumbsup:

citizenrich likes this.
  6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 12, 2013

Hi citizenrich,
    As my highest approval of your bid, let me put DIBS on it meaning if you want to sell it please contact me. I am tempted to put bid also at the time but out of watch budget. That and also some suspicion on the bidding situation.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 12, 2013

I'm imaging a snowflake in the private security business wearing a polerouter!

Great watch. Here is my first and only UG:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373681413.201215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373681431.087757.jpg

citizenrich likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jul 12, 2013

Strangely enough, there seem to be hotspots of watch activity - or maybe just watch forum activity. The NY/NJ/PA area extending south into Baltimore, the midwest from Ohio north to Minnesota, some from California, England, Australia, and some of the Pacific Islands around Malaysia.

citizenrich likes this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 12, 2013

My theory (only mildly political) is that the Australian economy is going so well, hence we have the disposable income?

citizenrich likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 12, 2013

I think its more because of how expensive and difficult car ownership is in this country. We pay a fortune on high end cars compared to the USA and others, and the fact that we're right hand drive in the middle of the pacific makes it even worse. Part of why I collect watches is that a current model M3 here costs more than a Patek 5970P, and between registration, insurance, and costs in selling it on, watches are just much better value toys.

citizenrich likes this.
  11. NT931 Jul 13, 2013

Don't forget those of us in Singapore! :) A Toyota Corolla costs USD90,000 here , so maybe like the Aussies, our watch obsessions are also partly due to high car prices.

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 13, 2013

I am! We got into a bit of a slanging match on this recently, hence my earlier reticence. ::shy::

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 13, 2013

Similar with Indonesia. Not as outrageous as Singapore, price of new and used car still easily double US or German price. Basic Toyota Corolla 1800 cc costs USD 42,000. A standard BMW 318i costs USD USD 70,000. Get the 335i and we are talking of north 100K price. Add road tax, maintenance and depreciation, it could be one expensive hobby quickly.
    In other hand watch price maximum only 20% higher than US. Take Rolex, the price difference could only 0-10% difference. With no operation cost, minimum service cost and no annual tax applied it is really a cost effective hobby. If you become smart flipper then it is a profitable hobby.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 13, 2013

No problem Rich..... I could wait 1-2 or even 5 years. If all my DIBS get realized at the same time, I will be broke.:D

15. ulackfocus Jul 13, 2013

It's best to say that with an evil laugh. Muah - ha ha haaaaa!

That's my worst watch nightmare. :p