Forums Latest Members
  1. blubarb Aug 23, 2015

Couldn't help but think of Al when I saw this. Timex - takes a lickin' and still keeps on tickin' who can beat that.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2015

Yes I've seen that one before...his head is too far forward, he's out of alignment, and doesn't draw back nearly far enough, and no back tension so the draw weight is all being carried in his arms. His hand comes away from his face sideways as a result of all this - the shooter has terrible form!! ;)

But anyway, pin lever movements will take a lot of crap and still run, there's no doubt about it. These vintage ads certainly are interesting...language such as "waterproof" and "unbreakable mainspring" are simply not used today, as we all know better!

Thanks for posting it!

Cheers, Al

3. Canuck Aug 23, 2015

Years ago, there was a Timex ad that had a Timex attached to an outboard motor propeller (IIRC). After the boat traversed a course, it stopped, the motor tilted forward, and the watch removed. The commentator remarked that the watch was still running! I forget how many times they had to film the commercial before they found a tortured Timex running. Truth in advertising? How many watches would have survived such a test?

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 23, 2015

I liked the one where they did the test, live in the studio, with an outboard in a big glass tank and the lost the watch into the tank.

Genuine panic on the announcers face when they checked that prop!

5. Canuck Aug 23, 2015

Wikipedia has an interesting review of John Cameron Swayze who was a pitchman for Timex for about 20 years. Seems as though television viewers had much longer trains of thought back in those days, as compared to today! Swayze pitched a lot of different products over his decades of broadcasting.

6. blubarb Aug 24, 2015

I don't believe this is the one you were referring to, Canuck. But the the same "puff" is recognisable.

Kimmo likes this.