Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 29, 2014

So, I sent a message to an ebay seller, asking for photos of the movement and caseback. Fairly standard request, yes? The answer:

Dear canberraomega,

What are you looking for in the pictures?
    It's properly signed.We're professional's.We don't make authenticity mistakes.

thanks,
    Jim

- xxxxx

Should I respond saying that I'm looking for proper usage of apostrophes?

Spacefruit likes this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 29, 2014

Inherently laughable statement. I don't know the watch or the price, but unless it was a grail of grails for you, I'd advise walking.

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2014

The correct answer is "I'm looking for a seller that I would like to do business with. Thank you for your time."

X350 XJR, Habitant, lenny and 3 others like this.
  4. John R Smith Jun 30, 2014

Without in any way trying to excuse the behaviour of this particular seller (which is utterly crap and he does not deserve to sell anything) -

I have sold quite a lot of stuff on eBay over the past few years (not just watches, but camera gear and music stuff too), and one thing I have noticed is this: that the people who ask lots of questions, request extra photos, and send lots of chatty messages, never actually purchase the item. The person who does in fact win the auction, or presses the BIN button, usually has never bid previously or made any enquiry, and very often does not bother to give you any feedback afterwards either.

It's a strange world out there, buyers and sellers alike ;)

citizenrich, Davidt and Habitant like this.
  5. lenny Jun 30, 2014

While I agree with this, in general, certain vintage watches really do need movement pics. This is especially true when they are being sold by "professional's".

6. John R Smith Jun 30, 2014

I completely agree. I always put up plenty of high-quality photos, and of course movement pictures for any of my watches that I sell. But as we have noted on this Forum previously, sellers do get away with the most god-awful listings and still get a very good price. In fact, it often seems that great photos and a really expert description work against you somehow, when you are the seller. It's almost as if the buyers are suspicious of your apparent expertise ::confused2::

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 30, 2014

Interesting insight.

8. Habitant Jun 30, 2014

My own opinion is that many (most?) on eBay hope to get a great deal, so hope that the person selling it doesn't know the real value of the item and so the buyer has the advantage - because they think they themselves know more and are on their way to a great bargain. Of course. Example was the Omega listing with the picture of a Lego box, nothing more, that went for £102 (http://omegaforums.net/threads/worst-redials.2304/page-49). Either shill bidding, an Omega model I've never seen before (please advise) or some seriously crazy buyer got a 'good deal.'