Forums Latest Members
  1. TacmedRN Jul 30, 2020

Summary: Bought "new" watch from AD, found out it might in fact be a decade old, need help finding information.

Hello all!

Last year (2019) I bought an Omega Seamaster 300m, reference 212.30.41.20.03.001. I bought it new from my local authorized dealer, which is not a "boutique." At the time, I knew very little about luxury watches; all I knew is I wanted a blue Seamaster 300m. At the time of my purchase, the salesperson told me they "just got this watch in" and there was no difference between this model and the newer Master Chronometer models apart from the wave dial. Now that I have spent a year studying Omega, their history, and their lineup, I know how misleading and misinformed my local AD is.

Anyway, at the time, they told me this watch had just arrived, so preferring the non-wave dial, I laid down my credit card and walked out happy. Today I got curious and tried to do some more research on my particular timepiece. I couldn't find any serial number guides directly from Omega, so I looked up my serial number on a few different third party sources. Based on my serial number, three different websites indicate my watch was made around 2008! I contacted Omega directly and was told I would have to bring my watch to a boutique or send it in to have an archive extraction, but that my model was manufactured anywhere from 10-15 years ago until the end of 2018.

Now I know the Seamaster 300m has had many variations in the past couple of decades, and I don't know much about the lineage and changes, but from what information I could obtain, it sounds like it is quite plausible that I paid full price for a watch that has been sitting in the shop for over a decade, and passed off as it was just recently manufactured!

Can anyone help me get more information on my particular reference and serial number? My serial number is eight digits long and starts with 82XXXXXX. I believe my calibre number is 2500D.

If my watch did in fact sit unused for over a decade, should I get it serviced now, or does the service interval start when the watch started actually being used?

I love the watch, I love this reference, and I knew full well I was not buying the BRAND NEW Master Chronometer model. I'm just a little put off that I was mislead during the sale into thinking I was still purchasing a relatively recent watch. I appreciate any help this wonderful community can offer!

Thanks!

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 30, 2020

I don’t have any answers, but I bet some photos will help

janice&fred likes this.
  3. TacmedRN Jul 31, 2020

It looks just like all the others with that same reference.

4. SkunkPrince Jul 31, 2020

It’s a caliber 2500, so it could be pretty old. I’d get it serviced now, personally, or at least have a trusted watchmaker look at it.

5. mr_smith Jul 31, 2020

Hello. I believe this particular model (212.30.41.20.03.001) was rolled out in 2012. Obviously the first ones would have likely been manufactured before that (maybe 2011?) but I wouldn't have guessed as early as 2008. I have a Planet Ocean (2201.50) that I bought new in 2012 and the serial number begins with 85. I would have thought yours would start with the same or close. I'm not sure how to explain the serial number sequencing.

Regarding the AD just getting the watch in... is it a large chain of stores? I contacted a large jewelry chain years ago about a particular model that was being phased out - I was too late, but I learned that they shifted their older stock to designated locations... not exactly 'outlet' locations but stores that carry semi-older pieces (making room in what I presume to be the busier stores for the newer models). Perhaps your local AD is one of these stores that receives older models? I'm just suggesting it may not be that they were misleading you (hopefully not!)... but perhaps they were selling you a new watch that had just arrived at their store, from another store in their chain. Were you given the warranty cards, filled in with the date you purchased it?

6. Dedalus05 Jul 31, 2020

That would bug anyone. You're right to be annoyed, especially if you may have missed a chance to haggle the price down a bit. But still a beautiful watch. So if it was full price for something you love, so be it.

Be interesting to see what feedback you get about servicing.

7. chaw6125 Jul 31, 2020

If it was an AD and they gave you a warranty card dated and stamped when you bought it then I wouldn't worry how long it has sat around as far as a service goes. You will have a 5 year warranty so if it isn't running right they will sort it under warranty which would be void if you have it serviced elsewhere.

It is annoying if they have mislead you. Especially if it was an outgoing model you could have negotiated a discount on.

FWIW I prefer yours to the waves dial and thicker case for 8500/8900 caliber movements.

8. wolfe44 Aug 1, 2020

I very much prefer your reference to the new wave dials which I find too busy, personally

WatchTimes likes this.
  9. WatchTimes Aug 2, 2020

I agree

wolfe44 likes this.
  10. reverbtime Aug 14, 2020

I have the 212.30.41.20.01.003 (black version non-wave). It was sold at an AD in 2019. I emailed Omega and they told me it was manufactured in 2011. So far it is running fine. Luckily yours and mine are under warranty just in case the movement go out of COSC specs.