Forums Latest Members

Help with watch in general

1. TudorN96 Jan 6, 2015

Hey guys,

I would really like to ask how am I able to get my watch repaired and serviced from Melbourne, Australia. I'm really eager to get the watch in a nice condition as it was my father's watch. I'm still young (18) so I never got to ask him where to get watches serviced at repaired before he passed.

Currently the watch's ring is a bit faded and the knob to adjust the time was lost. The watch (before I lost the knob) used to also run a slow after a couple days so I assume it needs to get serviced as well. In addition the glass has a very small chip/scratch. Also one of the pins to adjust the band sticks out. I'm completely new to watches so bare with me if I used incorrect terms for the pieces.

The watch looks like this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In addition to wondering where I can get the watch repaired, I would also like to ask roughly how much would it would actually cost for all the repairs, how old the watch is and how much the watch costed.

Thanks for reading and really hope you guys can help me.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 6, 2015

Welcome.

I'm sure the AUers will be along later on to point you in the right direction.

3. puddlep1rate Jan 6, 2015

The Omega website has 3 official service centers listed in Austrailia that you may want to take a look at. As far as I know, they do complete full service work inside/out. Costs will vary depending on what all needs to be completed. I believe the last thread I read regarding service work from one of their service centers was about ~700 USD.

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/find-service-center/map

Edited Jan 6, 2015
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 6, 2015

In my experience in Canada, full service, what they call an 'overhaul', is $750 CAD but that includes movement parts... pretty much everything inside the watch, but not crystal, dial, hands, etc. It may be different for older movements like a 321 though. My service was for an 861.

5. puddlep1rate Jan 6, 2015

Best thing would be to call any of the 3 service center listed on Omegas website and ask what they will do for you.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 6, 2015

Way better pricing from a qualified interdependent.

7. base615 Jan 6, 2015

Michael Chylinski (watchcollector.com.au) does the best restoration work, not the cheapest but the ones I've seen have been incredible. Here's an example - http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/wristwatch-case-restoration-done-right.html
    I'm probably going to send him my Constellation I hit against a door, looking at $550 to get back to as-new condition so not the cheapest.

For servicing, Michael should be able to do it or point you in the right direction for Melbourne. I use Joe Santos in Enmore (Sydney) who's an absolute gun, and cheap, but takes time. He's away until February but if you can wait until then and don't mind shipping it to him (or dropping it in if you're in Sydney at some stage) he'll do an excellent job on the movement. He used to do the servicing work at Omega in Bienne so he's very good indeed.

As an example of price, my Seamaster 300 is with him at the moment and I'm looking at $250 for clean / oil / adjust and cleaning up the minimal wear on the case. Your case would likely cost a bit more, maybe $200.

8. TudorN96 Jan 6, 2015

Awesome! Thanks a lot guys.