Forums Latest Members
  1. jpwoods Dec 5, 2019

Hi, I am new to watch collecting but I have found that the vintage Omegas offer a lot of good value to the entry level collector. I have spent the fast few days on Chrono24 looking through a few watches and I found a 1963 Omega Seamaster Automatic, Calibre 562 with date. The asking price is $1,756 AUD ($1,200 USD, £915 sterling and €1083 Euro).

I have attached photos and the condition looks great to me. The dealer has serviced it and is happy to send the servicing papers with it. From my current knowledge, this is a happy medium where I don't think I will be inheriting too much risk in which I will be faced with functional issues. However, the extent of knowledge is limited and I do not have a trained eye to really pick up on any potential issues in the movement or with the watch as a whole. I would really appreciate some guidance, whether this is a good find and if I should jump on it? Or is this something not worth pursuing - furthermore any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to seeing any responses, I am also happy to answer any questions if you have any. Thanks.

I further submit the details from the watches page here:

Omega Seamaster Stainless Steel Mens Vintage 1963 Automatic Calibre 562 watch
    1. Fast same day shipping
    2. No offers, this is priced to sell
    3. Automatic movement using the legendary 5 Series

Iconic Seamaster model. A new strap has been added to give this vintage watch a modern twist. Naturally if you need to have a more formal watch strap such as dark brown or black we can swap over before dispatching.

Please be realistic in regards to condition, do not expect mint. Naturally there will be some imperfections with case and dial but overall good condition especially for a watch which dates back to 1963.
    The seconds hand sweeps around nicely. It's Automatic and will have very good reserve power and fully serviced - no battery needed.

Case Width: Approx. 34mm
    Dial: Original white / ivory dial
    Metal: Stainless steel
    Year of Manufacture: 1963
    Movement: Automatic - Calibre 562
    Band / Strap: Brown
    Box: Yes, see picture

13056341n_zoom_v1575036060727.jpg 13056341k_zoom_v1575036054597.jpg 13056341i_zoom_v1575036051777.jpg 13056341h_zoom_v1575036050490.jpg 13056341f_zoom_v1575036047968.jpg 13056341e_zoom_v1575036046632.jpg img2.jpg img1.jpg
    Samir likes this.
  2. Noddyman Dec 5, 2019

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I would be asking the seller if those photos are post or pre service.
    If post then why hasn't the case back seal been replaced? Also I would want to know if the rotor rubbing issue has been addressed.

Overall the watch looks original but it's seen a too much time on the polishing wheel for me.

Price is 50% too high.

These are quite a common reference, you could do better for less with patience and education.

3. Caliber561 Dec 5, 2019

I would check if the caseback's reference datecode suffix is saying -63 or -65, if it's -63, then imo, nothing is eye-glaringly wrong, if you're okay with the slightly soft case. Assuming that the watch was legitimately serviced, I would purchase it for about 200 USD below asking if it came with a proper BOR bracelet. In any case, it is priced too high.

OMEGuy and Samir like this.
  4. Lotus_Eater8815 Dec 5, 2019

+1 on verifying if the gasket and rotor rubbing issue has been addressed post service. There also seems to be some pitting on the case in or around the caseback. That would compromise water resistance greatly.

The watch also appears to be unpolished on the sides? The side of the lugs still have that natural vertical brushing, but appears to have been polished everywhere else. The price seems too high. I think could get a cal. 564 chronometer on a BOR for that amount.

5. jpwoods Dec 5, 2019

Thank you all for your input, while the watch looks nice my inexperience has gotten the better of me with its appearance. I think patience and education are critical as you listed above.

6. lindo Dec 7, 2019

That price is definitely too high, and the case is a little too polished for most tastes. You can get a contemporary Seamaster in better condition with a good BOR bracelet for less than $USD 800 (AUD 1200) from reputable ebay sellers.

7. jpwoods Dec 7, 2019

Thanks mate, if I may ask - could you direct me to some good sellers that you know? Thanks

8. lindo Dec 7, 2019

I have sent a message to you separately. Hope it helps.