Forums Latest Members
  1. SteveL Jul 1, 2018

Hello everyone, I am new on here, and I am looking for identification of an old Omega wristwatch that I have bought.
    The seller know very little about it as he said he was selling it from his late fathers estate, and I too know very little about it too. I did get it at what I think is a very good price. If possible I would like to find out the model and the year.
    I have posted images of the face, the movement and the inside back.The outside back is blank.
    Thank you so much for any info you might be able to provide.

Omega.jpg IMG_20180630_122152.jpg IMG_20180630_173234.jpg

Rjcole83 likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 1, 2018

Your watch is from the mid-1930’s based on the style and serial numbers.

The dial has been inaccurately refinished. The hands are mismatched and also not correct for this model.

@Tire-comedon is the resident expert on Omega watches from this era. Hopefully he’ll have more to add.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. SteveL Jul 1, 2018

Yes thank you @gatorcpa I did have my suspicions that the dial wasn't correct but I didn't mention it as I wanted someone who knows to verify
    the fact.. So you say "Not correct for this model" , what is the model please? Someone has hinted at an early Seamaster?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 1, 2018

Probably generic. Should not be luminous.

I do not know the specific Omega model name or number for this watch.
    gatorcpa

5. SteveL Jul 1, 2018

No they are not luminous. Thanks again

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 1, 2018

They may not glow in the dark anymore, but at one time they did.

However, the dial never did. Therefore, a mismatch.
    gatorcpa

7. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jul 1, 2018

Hi
    Looks like a Modèle 899, here in a 1930 catalog :
    [​IMG]
    The same case design was also Distributed Under the name Euroos, like here in a 1937 Italian catalog :
    [​IMG]
    I can't say whether this was exactly the same model with different names or if there were différences in details.
    One of mine says helo :
    [​IMG]
    Another one of mine with the Euroos dial :
    [​IMG]

On yours, the dial was badly repainted and you have luminous hands with non luminous dial, which also doesn't match, Gator already mentionned this. The caliber ref 26.5 SOB T2 looks clean.

8. SteveL Jul 1, 2018

Excellent, thank you for your input @Tire-comedon, I bow to your knowledge. I paid £100 for it, as I thought that any Omega must be worth that much. Apart from the face and hands being mis-matched, The calibre, case and back being original is good enough for me. It also winds OK and keeps fabulous time. Maybe in the future I will look at getting it all matched up again providing I can find the parts and someone who is capable of doing it. I have already ordered an Omega strap.
    Again thank you for your help and valuable information.

9. SteveL Jul 1, 2018

If I can just show you this too, another photo I took with the flash on. I was trying to show that the numbers are silvered and raised as are the batons, and so is the Omega logo and wording, silvered and raised from the face, not painted as far as I can see. The second hand and digits are also silvered. It is difficult to get a shot of the silvered pieces with the shine showing, but they do shine when looking through a loupe.
    Sorry on further inspection the logo and Omega wording are most likely silver paint. My apologies.

IMG_20180702_005725.jpg
    Edited Jul 1, 2018
  10. Dan S Jul 1, 2018

Numbers and markers are silver and raised, yes. You really think that the Omega logo and the word "OMEGA" are silver and raised? They all look the same to you?

Would you be willing to put some money on that? :D

11. SteveL Jul 1, 2018

Well silvered definitely yes, raised not so much as on second viewing it does look like silver paint.

Dan S likes this.
  12. SteveL Jul 3, 2018

Can anyone please point me in the direction of where I can get some fitting hands for this model please?

13. connieseamaster Jul 3, 2018

eBay or here with a lot of patience and luck

14. SteveL Jul 3, 2018

Thank you