Forums Latest Members

Help with this Submariner please

1. Kiwibloke Aug 1, 2020

A work colleague knows that I have an interest in vintage watches (tho only Omega to this point!) and asked me for help with his father’s Submariner. He (father) did some commercial diving and was inseparable from the Submariner. Watch no longer works and has clearly seen a very active life...

I’ve made sure that he goes nowhere near a Rolex dealer In the meantime and will get it to a good watchmaker - but hoping for help in identifying it (only had chance to take this single photo) and anything particular that should note for the watchmaker in approaching a repair/‘restoration’?

Thanks for any help!

1F8605C0-0672-4DE8-8798-0A8466270E59.jpeg
    Benbradstock and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. Benbradstock Aug 2, 2020

Case is overpolished, crystal abused, and perhaps most unfortunately has service dial and hands. And what’s up with the pip? To keep it simple, if your friend wants to keep the watch, my advice is get the crystal polished or replaced and get the movement serviced.

watch3s and Kulee-Baba like this.
  3. omegastar Aug 2, 2020

First thing would be to take the bracelet off to check serial and reference number.
    Once done, it will be possible to assess the condition and the issues of the watch.

Benbradstock and Larry S like this.
  4. jaguar11 Aug 2, 2020

White gold surrounds on 200 meter dial? Never even seen that on a service dial. I can't comment on the rest of the watch but this aspect of it is questionable.

bjhove, Benbradstock, KeithS and 3 others like this.
  5. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Aug 2, 2020

I think it’s fantastic and has a great story. It belonged to his dad! There may even be a story about how and why the dial was replaced! A very special piece indeed! Good luck to your colleague and be first in line on dibs!

Benbradstock and Larry S like this.
  6. janice&fred Aug 2, 2020

The watch has inconsistent parts, especially the riveted oyster, and I never seen the dial before. Looks like something home made out of a parts box to resemble a 1680.

7. nimzotech Aug 2, 2020

By the looks of the case, bracelet, and glass - in it's active life - has the watch seen the spinning impeller of a garbage disposal?

Benbradstock and OmegaP99 like this.
  8. Kiwibloke Aug 3, 2020

My colleague’s father )who purchased this new) was a commercial and salvage diver - so this Submariner was a true tool watch. He wore this as part of the rescue and salvage operations for the Wahine ferry which went down in 1969 with largest loss of life for a New Zealand maritime accident in the 20th century - so David is very keen to preserve that watch ‘as-is’ (but working of course...). So appreciate the comments and pointers....

OmegaP99 and Thrasher36 like this.
  9. vitriol Aug 3, 2020

Ok, genuine kudos to the colleague and his father, but the watch does not sum up.
    White gold surroundings on dial markers, bracelet and hands which seem to be older than the dial.
    Do you know was this watch serviced in past? Serviced at any place, not neccessary at Rolex.

10. S.H. Aug 3, 2020

I'd say speculatively that this is a Rolex from the 60s, repaired along the years with a bogus dial (and hopefully not with a bogus movement or other parts). It may just cost a bundle to get it back into shape using correct parts.

11. Kiwibloke Aug 3, 2020

I’ll ask some more questions tomorrow and will get hold of the watch in next couple of days to send onto a watchmaker who is very experienced with vintage Rolex, Omega etc. Could easily have had some dodgy servicing in the past... thanks again and will try and unravel the story! David says he has purchase receipt so will get a date from that...

Thrasher36 likes this.
  12. nimzotech Aug 3, 2020

Perhaps sending the watch to Rolex is not a bad idea, considering the condition of watch and misplaced parts. In the very least obtaining a Rolex quote would be in order; that is if Rolex would want to accept such a watch. Salvaging the piece has also to be considered.

Benbradstock likes this.
  13. nkhandekar Aug 5, 2020

I don't think you are a million miles away from the bloke who lives in the outback (Narembeem) and has a 5513 from the mid-60s that had lived a full life. Its worth going through his thread as a bit of preliminary research. https://omegaforums.net/threads/asking-for-some-advice-on-my-1966-rolex-submariner-5513.112171/page-4#post-1559378

You are already asking yourself the right questions about maintaining the history whilst getting a working watch out the other side. the conservation vs restoration is a tricky tightrope sometimes and you seem to understand it. Good luck with it.

14. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

The OP asked for help in identifying it and he got some fairly informative answers. What's hilarious is you think it's his dad's watch, and there's something to "lmao" over the patently obvious fact that much of the watch is in fact not original. So...who should he listen to? People stating facts or your erroneous take on things? The bracelet on that watch predates virtually everything in the picture, that is if the bracelet and watch itself are even Rolex made to begin with. From that one picture I would be suspicious of the entire thing.

15. Dan S Aug 5, 2020

Odds are that this is a 1680 with a replacement dial that is either aftermarket, or an obscure service dial that I don't recognize. Aside from that, I like it. In particular, I actually think that the case looks quite good given the history of the watch. Yes it shows a lot of wear, but the chamfers are visible, and the lugs and crown guards are thick. Once we know the serial and reference numbers, we can perhaps give your colleague some advice about options. Obviously, keeping it as-is is a possibility, but he could also consider other options, including finding a period-correct dial to install, or an authentic service dial.

16. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

If the watch is in fact Rolex, the ONLY thing it could be is a 1680 so the serial and reference will be irrelevant except to rule out a fake. The year of a 1680 via serial number won't matter. None came with that dial or bracelet, and all came with the same movement. So if genuine, about all the OP can do to help his friend is get the watch to a watch maker and see what the options are for either a restoration or service so the thing can be used. By the way the acrylic crystal is misaligned with the date aperture and blank date wheel, that thing got whacked around pretty well and is going to have some considerable internal problems which caused it to stop running. This will not be a cheap fix :D

Duracuir1 and Dan S like this.
  17. Dan S Aug 5, 2020

This is largely true, but knowing the year would tell us whether the watch originally had a red sub dial, or white sub dial, which would be interesting to know. Regarding the bracelet, it's my understanding that early 1680s came with a 7206 riveted bracelet, wo I think that's still possibly correct. It would be nice to see the date code on the clasp if it's present.

I hadn't noticed the blank date wheel. :)

18. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

The serial and year won't determine if red or white, as white was produced simultaneously thru out all 1680 years. Rivet-wise I don't think that would be likely, folded in early years yes.

19. Dan S Aug 5, 2020

We are going to disagree on both of those points. Here's one reference:
    http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/red-sub/redsub.html

watch3s and airansun like this.
  20. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

I'm familiar with that fella's website. I'm also quite certain that white was produced every year thru the 1680 run. However this is all academic as it will hardly matter with the watch in question. ANY genuine 1680 dial will do and fit. Chances are if there is a dial change it's going to be a service replacement anyways.