Forums Latest Members
  1. cmdunn Apr 5, 2016

I have a 3590.5 Speedy and I am having some issues with the movement. Aside from the fact that it dies fairly rapidly after an initial winding. The chronograph functions are a little out of whack. The chromo starts fine, with a push on the 2 o'clock pusher, but when you push it a second time, it resets. It does not stop the chrono hand, but resets back to 12. Also, the 4 o'clock pusher doesn't reset the chrono hand whatsoever, all it does it reset the min sub dial.

I rarely use the chronograph, so I have kind of put off having it fixed, but I want the watch to run as it should. Any idea what's going on here? Any thoughts on what this is going to cost to fix?

Any help is much appreciated.

-CD

2. sky21 Apr 5, 2016

I don't think there is any way around the fact that you need to get it serviced. Plan on around $600. Do you know the history of the watch and if it's been serviced before?

3. abrod520 Apr 5, 2016

I've had that issue before (currently, actually, and my watch is in service) but haven't yet learned why it occurs. However, yes - you'll need to have it serviced at the very least. It's out of warranty, so best to find a good watchmaker local to you. You can ask members here or Google around for that, but be thorough!

4. cmdunn Apr 5, 2016

Not quite sure as I bought it second hand, no papers or service history. I can live with $600 for the service. I live in Boston if anyone can recommend a few places. I know of at least 2 reputable watchmakers I could use, but always open to fresh ideas.

Thanks for the help!

-CD

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 5, 2016

Sounds like the stem bolt for the reset hammer has broken off. It will be floating around in the movement somewhere so you should stop using it and get it to a watchmaker ASAP.

6. proximal Apr 5, 2016

Yeah, it's this. My watch is being serviced right now and had the same issue.

If you are having the watch serviced anyway, the only additional cost for this repair would be for the cost of the stem bolt for hammer- the whole thing is going to be disassembled anyway. It's not a particularly expensive part.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 5, 2016

If you search the site, you'll find there are a lot of recommendations in the Boston area.

8. Kwijibo Apr 6, 2016

Hi

Also ask to replace the mainspring if you have it serviced.

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 6, 2016

You shouldn't need to ask. Any watchmaker worthy of the title would change it as a matter of course.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 6, 2016

As noted, the stem bolt for hammer is missing or broken...not an uncommon issue...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

11. cmdunn Apr 6, 2016

I really appreciate the help here. I'll be taking it this week for service.

Cheers All!

-CD