Forums Latest Members
  1. cart3r Feb 6, 2020

Hello all,

Recently bought a speedmaster 3570.50 off ebay was described as not holding a charge, lasts 8 hours, but everything else is fine...

Anyway I've received the watch, and doesn't seem to hold charge for even 20 minutes, also pressed the chronograph button, chrono worked, then stopped the chrono, went to press the reset chrono pusher... didn't snap back, pusher doesn't click, and get no reset.
    Go to start the chronograph again and now the chrono start doesn't work pusher seems jammed and doesn't even want to push in, moves a little bit, but that's all.

Anyway, getting to the point, I'm in fear that this is obviously going to cost a lot more than expected.. didn't mind getting it serviced.. but now I'm really worried as this is my first 'premium watch' and got a good deal on it (probably to good to be true in retrospect)

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of what the problem may be, and also how much a independent might charge to fix it, also if omega set service price of £630 includes all inner mechanical parts? (Common sense says probably not..)

Thanks for all the help in advance

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 6, 2020

Any photos of the watch?

3. cart3r Feb 6, 2020

Hello, also now noticed that when I tilt the watch in a side to side motion, the chronograph hand moves about 2 seconds..

Also it does seem to somewhat hold a charge, when the second hand stops (small dial at 9 o clock) if I pull out the crown, it will start again.

I can also hear an audible tic tock from about 6 inches away, don't know if this is normal?

20200206_080317.jpg 20200206_080309.jpg
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 6, 2020

My advice would be to stop using it. Stop winding it. Just stop.

If there is dirt/grit/shit stuck in the mechanism, or something has broken off, every time the watch moves it is probably making it worse.

where are you located? Somebody should be able to recommend a good watchmaker.

5. cart3r Feb 6, 2020

Hello,

I'm based in the uk, okay I've only wound it the once, will just leave it now

Do you know if omega set service price includes all mechanical parts?
    Bit worried that if I go to an independent, I may end up spending more just in parts

Cheers

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 6, 2020

When you wind it how many turns does it take until you can't wind it any more?

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 6, 2020

I was going to ask that, but I’m concerned that if there is actually crap in the movement, that just makes it worse

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 6, 2020

Don’t think it does. I think parts cost more.

there are lots of trusted independent watchmakers in the UK. I know of STS but I’m sure others will recommend more

9. cart3r Feb 6, 2020

Hello,

How much do you think it would cost to fix this sort of problem.. I was hoping if worse comes to worst then I'd just put it into omega if all mechanical parts are included.

When I first got the watch I wound it for about 5 minutes.. definitely didn't come to a stop, but resistance did build, not wound it since

Thanks for the replies so far.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 6, 2020

If you wound it for 5 minutes then I'd suggest you have a broken mainspring.

The best thing you can do is get it to a watchmaker ASAP.

As it's not a classic "vintage", sending it to Omega for a service/repair would be an option.

Otherwise STS or other companies with access to Omega Parts Accounts would also be OK.

11. cart3r Feb 6, 2020

Hello,

Do you have any idea what the chronograph problems maybe, or could they be linked?

Thanks

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 6, 2020

Only the technician/watchmaker who inspects the watch can answer that.

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 6, 2020

If its not holding charge maybe you should change the battery? :whistling:

Just messing with you, whatever is wrong a full service will fix it, as long as there is a movement in there to fix. Try STS or any other reputable watchmaker, ideally one with a parts account if you are concerned parts may need replacing. Yes the Omega service included all likely worn or broken movement parts.

I have to ask, did you go into this with your eyes open? It was descried as faulty so you presumably knew it needed work, it seems a bit ill prepared to ask about service options after the event.

OMEGuy and CanberraOmega like this.
  14. cart3r Feb 6, 2020

Hello,

Yes I knew what I was getting myself into, but item was described as in working order, just only holds 'charge' (for lack of a better word) 8 hours, I was told the chronograph works, it keeps time etc... so I thought I was just getting my self into a standard service and replacement main spring.

I guess it was abit naive of me, regardless here I am, just got my self into a panick thinking it's going to cost a lot more than the cost of a service, but by the sounds of it an omega service will cover moving parts.

Also contacted STS they say all parts are included as long as they are not rusted, but then did go on to say all prices are subject to inspection, I guess the only real way to find out is by sending it off

Again I appreciate everyone's help up to now

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 6, 2020

On the basis you got it for ~£1400 (from your TZ-UK thread) I would say you did fine. Its worth comfortably over £2k when working and tidy so I would pony up for a decent service inc refinish (ie use STS or Omega Service Centre) and get back a cheap minter. I would have bought it at that price. It is probably false economy to use a non parts a/c indy service it without a refinish as you will be out ~£1,800 on a tatty looking one.

16. cart3r Feb 6, 2020

Okay, definitely good value, I will send it off and post my update on here, is it worth getting a refurb? I've heard a lot say don't refurb, but on a 2005 will it effect value at all anyway?

Cheers

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 6, 2020

Re the refinish question, yes it will effect the value positively.

Its not a vintage watch, it is identical in many ways to the current model (the bracelet and box are different, that's about it). Modern with patina (for which read damage) just looks tatty, vintage looks charming. The cut off date is hard to define, some use the 1997/8 change from tritium to Superluminova, others go back further still but that is certainly a modern era piece. Get it refinished professionally, its included in an OSC or STS service anyhow.