Help with Seamaster

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some advice regarding my Omega Seamaster Automatic Cal 591, a vintage piece from 1959. While the watch is operational, I've noticed issues with the automatic winding mechanism not functioning as smoothly as it should.

Here's my quandary:

1. Is it more advisable to sell the watch as it currently stands, or should I consider getting it repaired first?

2. Can anyone recommend a skilled watchmaker who specializes in vintage Omega watches and could potentially address this issue?

3. Regarding the watch dial - would restoring it enhance the watch's value?

4. If a restoration is recommended, I would be grateful for any suggestions on reputable professionals who can undertake such delicate work.

Thank you in advance for your insights and recommendations!

6073C797-CBA1-4DAB-A29B-1D4C6AB6BB04.jpeg 3661A850-1F63-4B8F-B62D-42302F9CB3FF.jpeg

1. Is it more advisable to sell the watch as it currently stands, or should I consider getting it repaired first?

You are unlikely to recoup the cost of a service in your selling price.

3. Regarding the watch dial - would restoring it enhance the watch's value?

Restoring the dial would significantly detract from the watch's value to a collector. Collectors value originality over condition.

If you’re selling it you’re unlikely to recoup the time and cost associated with servicing and any restoration. Simply sell as is.

Somebody has already messed with the dial it appears. Unless it has sentimental value just sell as is. Unfortunately it won't be worth much.

1. Just sell it. Don't invest any more into it.
2. There are many threads recommending watchmakers, but don't do it.
3. It's not worth the trouble and cost of repainting the dial just to sell it.
4. I have not seen any dial restoration worth recommending.

Overall, the watch doesn't have great value, and nothing you can do will change that. Just sell it, pocket a few hundred dollars hopefully, and move on.

As previously stated, if it has no sentimental value there is no point in investing time/money into this watch. You might as well just look for another watch.