Forums Latest Members
  1. jzzmusician Oct 6, 2015

Greetings,

It's only been two months since I bought a used 39mm Aqua Terra and now I find myself lusting after another watch.

I have small wrists, (6.5") and find that the 39mm size of the Aqua Terra is about perfect. Any larger and I'm not sure it would work. Going to an AD is out as the nearest dealer is about 250 miles away.

I'm thinking of the First Omega in Space. It is also 39mm and while I'm sure the diameter would work, how about the thickness? I'm not a big guy and I'd be wearing this watch at work as well as play.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there another watch I should consider? I'm looking for something different than the AT and a bit sportier.

Thank you all in advance,

Bob

2. Canuck Oct 6, 2015

You're talking about a significant investment. Why not schedule a week end to visit the AD and to try a few watches on? Frequently on this MB we see images of women wearing watches that might be considered by some to be too large for their wrists. They don't concern themselves about proportion. They wear these larger watches because they LIKE them! One of the Omegas in my collection that my wife particularly likes, and wears on the odd occasion, is ~ 40 mm diameter, though relatively slim.

3. Audley Yung Oct 6, 2015

the Speedmaster First Omega in space was exactly what I was going to recommend. It's definitely a bit thicker than your Aqua Terra though.

4. GaryUFM Oct 7, 2015

I've got 6.5in wrists, and I've got a 45.5mm PO, also quite deep. I don't think wrist size is the whole story. As ex-RMR, ex-rugby player, and still training, I've quite a big but athletic frame. I think this helps balance the watch. Even so, I had some concerns when I first got it (only last Monday), but within a week I was over it: it looks and feels great.

If taking photos to see what it looks like, trick I learnt from OF is not to do a close up but a distance shot in a mirror (or get someone else to take) to see if you look ridiculous.

Also remember switching straps can have an impact on the look and feel of it on the wrist, and some can have the illusion of shrinking it.

Ultimately though, if you like it, get it.

Good luck!

5. nurseford25 Oct 7, 2015

+ 1 with Canuck. You really should go to a boutique and try stuff on. All the fits and finishes are so different that you never know until you try it. Once you figure out what watch you want, then start hunting for it.

6. Dombo63 Oct 7, 2015

I have the same wrist size, but generally fairly slim build, and the classic Moonwatch fits perfectly. The curved and twisted lugs make it sit better than (in my case) the Seamaster (old James Bond type) and other similar sized watches. I probably could not for example carry off a Rolex Submariner without looking like a boy wearing his Dad's watch.
    Definitely try several on in a boutique or AD and go with what just looks and feels right.

7. jzzmusician Oct 7, 2015

Thank you all for your input. I'm currently working split days off and making a 500 mile round trip seems like a stretch at this point. I'm hitting 60 hours per week or so and I'm usually pretty whooped by the time I get a day off. You never know though. I could wake up tomorrow morning, hit the road at 5:30 and home in time for dinner.

My Aqua Terra is perfect (older 2500 movement) white dial with blue hands. I love the watch. I also have a mid 60's Seamaster and a quartz Constellation.

Even though I don't post much, I really enjoy this forum and everybody that participates.

Thanks again,

--Bob