Forums Latest Members
  1. LukeFenek May 2, 2018

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding my latest purchase. Photos attached.

Is this an original piece? From what I have read on the forum it seems to be so but just wanted to be sure. Also, what is the current market value of a piece like this (assuming it is original, no redial and all parts being original or from the same calibre (354)) and 2577 reference? I am attaching photos which I hope are clear enough.

Thanks.

Inside.PNG Face - 2.PNG Face.PNG
  2. dxholdren May 2, 2018

It’s a hobnail dial Seamaster that looks to be redialed. Seamaster doesn’t look spot on to me. Case is very heavily polished on the rose gold cap. Value? Depends on what you look for in a vintage watch. I would pass, personally. Well below the 1k range, despite the lovely 2 tone hobnail.

LukeFenek likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! May 2, 2018

That is one tired looking 2577. It has some movement issues with rubbing and what could be debris. The hands look to have been relumed with tritium at some point, originally it would have had radium lume which wouldn't be that lime green. It could be a nice piece but you may need to spend a few hundred bucks to get it that way. If it was sold with any kind of assurances about service history or condition I would say you have been misled, if not and it was cheap then after a bit of work it could look good. The dial may clean up nicely or it may not.

LukeFenek likes this.
  4. LukeFenek May 2, 2018

It was quite a cheap find. Paid about €600 for it. Took it to a professional for a service and apart from the scratch on the plate he didn't find much wrong with the mechanism.

Thanks for the info :)

5. LukeFenek May 2, 2018

That is what I thought, then took it to an Omega agent and they sat on the fence on it. Apart from the polishing, and the issue with the scratch on the plate they didn't have much else to comment on, but was a bit perplexed as to why they sat on the fence tbh. Thanks for the info :)

dxholdren likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! May 2, 2018

Ok well for €1000 all in you may end up with something nice but that doesn’t sound all that cheap to me to be honest and is into chronometer or Gold cap Connie price territory. That said I am no expert on what premium those dials have over the plainer versions.

LukeFenek likes this.
  7. LukeFenek May 2, 2018

I am no expert whatsoever believe me :) Just a guy interested in getting other opinions. It's never a bad thing to hear what others have to say especially when it comes to watches like these. There are so many going around you never know what is original and what isn't.

Edited May 2, 2018
  8. Edward53 May 2, 2018

The dial looks original to me. Cleaning up the hands would make a dramatic improvement. No case back shot but I presume it is gold capped with wear through on one lug; looks like a crack in the cap at 1 o'clock? No idea re value I'm afraid. ETA: doh! just looked again at the first picture!

LukeFenek likes this.
  9. Bumper May 2, 2018

+1 to what has been said, dial looks original, but the gold cap has worn through. €600 + service is too much IMHO.
    upload_2018-5-2_21-14-23.png

LukeFenek likes this.
  10. LukeFenek May 2, 2018

Thanks for this. No that is not a crack thank God. A scratch across the cap. When worn doesn't show up much at least. Otherwise would have been pretty disappointed.

11. LukeFenek May 2, 2018

Thanks for this. Yeah didn't see the second lug (right one) till you just pointed it out to me. Am pretty disappointed with this to be honest now.