Forums Latest Members

Help with my Grandfather's vintage Mathey-Tissot gold watch ?

1. csf Jun 27, 2022

SEE ABOVE . . . . you were correct. Thanks !!

2. SkunkPrince Jun 27, 2022

One minute a day on a newly-serviced watch is not acceptable. I would take it back and see what they say.

gatorcpa likes this.
  3. csf Jun 27, 2022

Thanks, but I think I am fine now.

I have my grandfather's 70 year old 18k watch, which was sitting in my father's closet untouched and broken for probably 40 years, just serviced by a very reputable and respected watchmaker in NYC. It now looks really nice and is keeping more than adequate time for my needs.

I am more than satisfied. Of course, others may feel differently.

"The enemy of good is better."

UWG and watchyouwant like this.
  4. SkunkPrince Jun 27, 2022

I get it, but I don't think you really understand. That it is a minute off is such a trivial change, and you won't be charged for it. It is literally a tiny poke on the regulator. Might take five or ten minutes.

They would actually want you to come to them with this.

DaveK likes this.
  5. csf Jun 28, 2022

Thanks for the info, and you are right . . . I know very little about the way watches work.

Maybe, as you suggest, in a month or two ( since it is warrantied for a full year ) I will reach out to the watchmaker. But I would think they probably already adjusted it to be as accurate as they could, given it is 70 years old.

Regardless, these days I am rarely in a place where I would wear this solid gold watch, so if this is the best it can be I'm still good.

Thanks again !!

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 28, 2022

Highly doubtful the watch is that old.

These linen dials were fashionable in the late 1950's through the 1960's. So probably around 60 to 65 years old, but could be a bit younger. I have a Bulova Accutron from around 1970 with a linen dial.

upload_2022-6-28_13-51-18.png

I would have it checked out again. Even less expensive movements should be capable of better timekeeping.
    gatorcpa

SkunkPrince likes this.