Help with my Dad’s watch please

Hi there, here is mum Dad’s watch that was given to me after he died in 2002. He found it in the 80s in a changing room, and after handing it in, had it returned to him as nobody claimed it.

I bought a new strap as the brown leather one was worn. I don’t know what the original strap was.

My brother went to wind it and the winder came off in his hands, I saw it happen so don’t think it was over wound, but can’t say for certain. (I have the winder safe).

I wondered if anyone could tell me nything about it please? Does it have a specific name? Value when working?
Also, I obviously need to get it fixed/restored, so was hoping some advice could be given on that as I’ve heard horror stories re Omega? I live in Lincolnshire if that helps.
Thanks a million, Sarah 62C60AA9-2CCB-4886-9EC1-7B3434B7E219.jpeg 66C8D01D-3732-49C0-848B-65FC015B4505.jpeg C2CFAADB-C8B9-47C7-8CFF-3B2742700501.jpeg 4B1D295E-E6E5-464A-BFBB-96C41B625E86.jpeg EF7ED9BF-7777-4ACB-BE04-99AC9EBA5C5F.jpeg 7BC729CD-44C1-454E-8DA5-821C0FF44BE0.jpeg 9D69B62C-AA57-45FD-8C46-E33DCE464EDF.jpeg 161C86BB-EA82-4022-BA10-3B49278C1D20.jpeg

Omega licensed local companies (in places like the UK and France) to produce precious metal cases for them (it was all about import tax)

yours is an English cased 9 carat gold watch made in London.
Date letter for around 1961, which ties in nicely with the serial number on the movement.
It has a calibre 600 manual wind movement.

I suspect that dial has been repainted and the hands replaced. so it may have been replicating a named line but just as likely to be a no-name Omega dress watch.
Hope that helps.

to me the hands look replaced, its quite common that lume can be found both on the hands and indices and vice versa
that's not the case here

This watch will have a value due to the gold content alone. It is in rough condition though and due to the none original condition a collector probably wouldn't touch it. You say it was your dad's watch. Did he simply own it or was this his daily wearer? If it was I would definitely get it fixed up. Watches are a lovely reminder of people who have passed.

Omega licensed local companies (in places like the UK and France) to produce precious metal cases for them (it was all about import tax)

Date letter for around 1961, which ties in nicely with the serial number on the movement.

I suspect that dial has been repainted and the hands replaced. so it may have been replicating a named line but just as likely to be a no-name Omega dress watch.
Hope that helps.
Yes, Thankyou. Any information is more than what I already have... much appreciated.

This watch will have a value due to the gold content alone. It is in rough condition though and due to the none original condition a collector probably wouldn't touch it. You say it was your dad's watch. Did he simply own it or was this his daily wearer? If it was I would definitely get it fixed up. Watches are a lovely reminder of people who have passed.
He wore it regularly, but had a cheap watch whilst doing certain work.
I know it’s been battered a bit but would live to get it restored. I’m hoping I can find somewhere that’ll do a great job pretty reasonably..
Would you recommend taking it to a local watch repairers?

You have a couple of options.

Local Omega-authorized service, clean/lube and not much else.

Or you could send it to an Omega service center, and they can update some of the parts.

Or (don't do this) you could send it to the factory in Bienne to have it truly restored as it had left said factory 60 years ago.,

Because the case is "nothing special", the dial is refinished not as original, and your hour and minute hand don't match, I should think that the least expensive intervention is the prudent choice. That would be the local Omega-authorized service; if I were you I would at least replace the hands so they match.

He wore it regularly, but had a cheap watch whilst doing certain work.
I know it’s been battered a bit but would live to get it restored. I’m hoping I can find somewhere that’ll do a great job pretty reasonably..
Would you recommend taking it to a local watch repairers?

Others will have opinions on recommended repairers but I often recommend Michael Swift Horology to my family and friends. He is very reasonable price wise and he gets the job done. You send the watch to him Royal Mail special delivery ( about £8) he will then assess the watch and tell you what needs doing. Have a look on his website and see what you think and please put up some pictures when you have had the work done.

You have a couple of options.

Local Omega-authorized service, clean/lube and not much else.

Or you could send it to an Omega service center, and they can update some of the parts.

Or (don't do this) you could send it to the factory in Bienne to have it truly restored as it had left said factory 60 years ago.,

Because the case is "nothing special", the dial is refinished not as original, and your hour and minute hand don't match, I should think that the least expensive intervention is the prudent choice. That would be the local Omega-authorized service; if I were you I would at least replace the hands so they match.
Thankyou, that’s really good advice. very much appreciated.
I didn’t even notice the hands didn’t match!

Others will have opinions on recommended repairers but I often recommend Michael Swift Horology to my family and friends. He is very reasonable price wise and he gets the job done. You send the watch to him Royal Mail special delivery ( about £8) he will then assess the watch and tell you what needs doing. Have a look on his website and see what you think and please put up some pictures when you have had the work done.
I’ve also just sent a watch to Michael, his communication so far has been excellent and I’ll report back properly after the service. He’s saying a 4-5 week long queue for a movement overhaul and he’s charging less than a quarter of the price I was quoted elsewhere (prices are on his website).

Oh fantastic... that’s really good to hear, Thankyou. I really needed a recommendation.. I will definitely take some pics for you once it’s done ☺️

I’ve also just sent a watch to Michael, his communication so far has been excellent and I’ll report back properly after the service. He’s saying a 4-5 week long queue for a movement overhaul and he’s charging less than a quarter of the price I was quoted elsewhere (prices are on his website).
Well I think you’ve just sealed the deal for him... Thankyou. I’ll take a look tomorrow and make contact with him. Brilliant ☺️

I look forward to seeing updates on this watch. Aside from the winding stem issue (not uncommon) the movement otherwise looks pretty good. It’s encouraging that the regulator is set to about the middle of its adjustment range when it was a running watch.

Well that’s good to hear... not that I know which piece you mean but I’ll have a quick google. I ended up going out to the coast today so haven’t yet called Michael. Will do tmr though.
I’ll definitely update you guys... really appreciate all the support.

Well that’s good to hear... not that I know which piece you mean but I’ll have a quick google. I ended up going out to the coast today so haven’t yet called Michael. Will do tmr though.
I’ll definitely update you guys... really appreciate all the support.
We like people genuinely curious, and being a girl didn't hurt. :D Our female friends almost always do better at "male" endeavours.

Well that’s good to hear... not that I know which piece you mean but I’ll have a quick google..

This piece. The pointer on the index scale inside of the Swan Neck loop. It’s how a person fine tunes the accuracy of the watch to make it run a little faster or slower. Yours is set at about the mid point. Always an encouraging sign on an undisturbed watch that nobody has fiddled with in a while. Regards.
D358289A-B01A-4AE4-9777-BBEC3DD924DD.jpeg
Edited:

I've read that a "1" inside of the Omega symbol with the calibre number indicates that the movement was supplied separately to other watch makers / case makers or that it was an indication of the set-back distance that the movement required in the case or both (???)

I've read that a "1" inside of the Omega symbol with the calibre number indicates that the movement was supplied separately to other watch makers / case makers or that it was an indication of the set-back distance that the movement required in the case or both (???)

No, it indicates the hand height.

Cheers, Al