Help with inherited Omega Speedmaster

I have inherited an Omega watch but I know nothing about watches at all. It's says Omega on the dial hence approaching this forum for answers. Thank you in advance for any help.
Regards, Mike
Omega 1.jpeg

Like 5
A good reference is the website speedmaster101.com

Like 1
Assuming original parts (big assumption) it is a Speedmaster Professional dating from somewhere between 1976-1990 so a model number 145.022-76, 145.022-78, 145.0022 or 3590.50 ... My guess is a 145.022-78 but just a guess, all the needed info is on the inside of the caseback.

Like 3
This is a very nice watch to have inherited! The Speedmaster Pro is also known as the Moonwatch and if you're interested in reading a little bit about its history (spaceflight qualification by NASA), here's another good resource:
https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedmaster-became-moonwatch/

There are lots of great resources on the Moonwatch; here, elsewhere online, and in print as well.

What are you wanting to learn about it?

Like 1
Thanks @Dan S and @140dave. The website is extremely useful. I had help to remove the case back. Here’s what I’ve been able to find out so far.

It has a Moonwatch case back as opposed to pre-moon
Case back reference is 145022-76
Movement is calibre 861 with Delrin plastic brake
Serial number 39xxxxxx falls within the accepted range for reference
It’s in an asymmetric case which is correct for the reference
It has a domed ‘T’ dial which is correct for this reference
It has a DNN dropped serif bezel which is correct for this reference

The one issue I’ve found is the ‘S’ in Speedmaster on the dial extends the length of the ‘p’ which is correct for reference 145022-78 but not this 145022-76. I appreciate it won’t affect function but how big of an issue is this? I guess it will affect desirability and therefore value? Could Speedmaster101 be wrong about this as it seems many of the parts had crossover periods?

I couldn’t find information about the bracelet on speedmaster101 but did find a chart on this forum which indicates it’s correct for this watch with it being the 1171 version (not 1171-1) with 633 end links.

Well I’ve enjoyed an evening of investigating this beautiful watch but would still appreciate the thoughts and opinions of the forum experts.

Like 8
What are you wanting to learn about it?

I know Omega are a luxury watch brand so my thoughts are is it real, what’s its age and I also need an idea of value to ascertain when and where it’s appropriate to wear and also if I need to add to my home insurance as a separate item, etc. From what I’ve read tonight I’m going to call the insurer tomorrow unless the dial issue is such that it renders the watch worthless.

The ‘tall S’ is correct for a -76 so no worries there. The watch looks all correct. The lume isn’t the most attractive so you’re not looking at the high end price for this reference but it’s still c.£2500

Like 2
No step dial no party but it's inherited. Don't sell it and enjoy it.

Thanks. No intention of selling.

As far as I can ascertain, the no step dial is correct for this watch and, not withstanding the possible issue with the ‘S’ in Speedmaster, the watch is still worth a fair amount of money. I understand it’s probably low value in the world of luxury watches but it appears it will need to be added to my insurance as a separate item and I should probably not wear it to go mountain biking unless the dial is so wrong or undesirable that the entire watch is worthless?

The ‘tall S’ is correct for a -76 so no worries there. The watch looks all correct. The lume isn’t the most attractive so you’re not looking at the high end price for this reference but it’s still c.£2500

Thanks David. So is the speedmaster101 website wrong about the tall ‘s’ or have I misunderstood? Probably the latter as I’ve trawled through a lot of information this evening!

I was looking at the fair and good and thought it was somewhere in between which would match your figure of £2500. However, the prices on the chart don’t include the bracelet. Are you including the bracelet in your estimation? Is there much value in the bracelet?
Regardless, if looks like I will have to pass the details to my insurer so it can be added to the policy as I don’t believe I’m covered for individual items out of the home that are worth more than £1k. They may ask me for a value or even a written valuation.

Thanks David. So is the speedmaster101 website wrong about the tall ‘s’ or have I misunderstood? Probably the latter as I’ve trawled through a lot of information this evening!

Most of the -76 have the medium S dial, which is why I guessed -78, but the late -76 have the tall S dials like the -78 and later models.

Like 1
So its a nice 70s Speedmaster worth about $3000 with the bracelet, you can wear it just dont get is really wet and take it off if youre gonna use the chainsaw or jackhammer, but otherwise enjoy its a nice watch but not a museum piece.
I would get it serviced if youre planning to wear it, will cost around $500 and up but worth it- find an independent watchmaker with Omega parts account. Dont send it to Omega they will replace everything and charge a fortune. Enjoy! nice Speedy.

Like 2
Thanks @Dan S and @140dave. The website is extremely useful. I had help to remove the case back. Here’s what I’ve been able to find out so far.

It has a Moonwatch case back as opposed to pre-moon
Case back reference is 145022-76
Movement is calibre 861 with Delrin plastic brake
Serial number 39xxxxxx falls within the accepted range for reference
It’s in an asymmetric case which is correct for the reference
It has a domed ‘T’ dial which is correct for this reference
It has a DNN dropped serif bezel which is correct for this reference

The one issue I’ve found is the ‘S’ in Speedmaster on the dial extends the length of the ‘p’ which is correct for reference 145022-78 but not this 145022-76. I appreciate it won’t affect function but how big of an issue is this? I guess it will affect desirability and therefore value? Could Speedmaster101 be wrong about this as it seems many of the parts had crossover periods?

I couldn’t find information about the bracelet on speedmaster101 but did find a chart on this forum which indicates it’s correct for this watch with it being the 1171 version (not 1171-1) with 633 end links.

Well I’ve enjoyed an evening of investigating this beautiful watch but would still appreciate the thoughts and opinions of the forum experts.

Well done on your detailed research - most new enquirers on this Forum cannot be bothered. It is a nice watch and it is great that you are keeping it in the family.

Like 2
Interesting, my 76 is a 3918XXXX serial, so very close to yours and also at the tail end of 76 production, but mine has the 'Short S' expected on a 76... @140dave are you sure 76's also came with long S dials?

Like 1
According to Moonwatch Only which is the absolute bible, -76’s also came with long S dials.
Re value, I think it’s c.£2500 inc bracelet in the current market. Obviously pricing and condition is subjective but I sold a -74 not long ago, with a better dial, 1175 bracelet which is more desirable and fully serviced for a couple hundred more than £2500 so I think if selling you’d struggle to get close to £3000 at the minute.

Like 3
@MTeale gets a gold star for remembering his manners! We’ve been hammered with rude demands for valuation and info on inherited watches of late. +1 on a service. Don’t go near water, don’t even think about water! It’s a lovely watch!

Like 5
Thanks. No intention of selling.

As far as I can ascertain, the no step dial is correct for this watch and, not withstanding the possible issue with the ‘S’ in Speedmaster, the watch is still worth a fair amount of money. I understand it’s probably low value in the world of luxury watches but it appears it will need to be added to my insurance as a separate item and I should probably not wear it to go mountain biking unless the dial is so wrong or undesirable that the entire watch is worthless?

Yes, I told you that because nobody will say oh amazing moonwatch or it's a treasure.

Do you already have a budget for the service?

Yes, I told you that because nobody will say oh amazing moonwatch or it's a treasure.

Do you already have a budget for the service?

I haven’t considered a service yet. I believe it was serviced in the last couple of years though.