Help with information on watch with possible redial, 2791-6

Hello

I just got this Omega from a family member and I don't know a lot about it but was told this was a good place to get help. I have figured out which reference number this watch has (2791-6) but I cannot find any similar looking watches with that reference number. Therefore I'm thinking that it is either a fake or has a gotten a new dial. I know that the indices at 5 o'clock has been changed as it doesn't match the other smaller indices.

Any information on this watch would be greatly appreciated and suggestions on what I can do to get it in good condition. 20220509_155611.jpg 20220509_155716.jpg

The dial looks correct to me, bar that one index you mention 馃憤

The dial looks correct to me, bar that one index you mention 馃憤
Okay sound good, so it could be an original 2791-6 with this dial?

Okay sound good, so it could be an original 2791-6 with this dial?

It's authentic. Have the movement serviced by a local watchmaker and ask him not to polish the case or replace the crown.

Art

It's authentic. Have the movement serviced by a local watchmaker and ask him not to polish the case or replace the crown.

Art
The crown does not have the omega logo, should it or is that also authentic?

Also a question of curiosity, why would I not want the case polished?

Thank you for your time.

Because the edges turn soft. It changes from a finished, worn metal body to a featureless blob.

The crown does not have the omega logo, should it or is that also authentic?

Thank you for your time.

That is the original crown. Watchmakers are prone to replacing crowns in order to maintain watertightness. So long as you're careful around water (i e, not showering or swimming with the watch on) it would be preferable from a collector's standpoint to retain the original crown.

Same goes for polishing. A polished case will diminish interest from collectors. In other words, it will devalue the watch. The repaired index is a problem but there's nothing to be done about that, so best to leave it alone.

Art

That is the original crown. Watchmakers are prone to replacing crowns in order to maintain watertightness. So long as you're careful around water (i e, not showering or swimming with the watch on) it would be preferable from a collector's standpoint to retain the original crown.

I don't think the crown is correct. Bowler hat crowns were used on earlier models, 2791 and its siblings have a serrated crown, IMO.

I don't think the crown is correct. Bowler hat crowns were used on earlier models, 2791 and its siblings have a serrated crown, IMO.

You're right! I was thinking of ref 2639.

馃榾

Lovey dial. Here is what a correct crown should look like on 2791.
6F027EED-3814-4E31-8D84-E37056D6E982.jpeg