Forums Latest Members
  1. bacaitlin Sep 10, 2015

Hi everyone - my dad passed away earlier this year and I received his watch. This was the watch that started the fascination with Omega for me when I was young and impressionable lad. The feature that he loved most about this watch was that it was 'waterproof' and being on the sea most of his working life, it came in handy. He was really fond of this watch and wore it everyday until probably the last 5 years of his life - probably due to a combination of its size and his failing eyesight. I've been trying to find out what model this watch was and have been googling 'vintage omega seamaster ', but nothing has come up that shows this exact model. A few images have come close to looking like this one but those models don't have the double markers at the 3, 6, 9, and 12. There was a DeVille vintage model that came up during my search that had the double markers but not the date window. So now I'm turning to the experts for help in identifying this model. Here are the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vinn2 Sep 10, 2015

i do not know, BUT its a good looking 'sea watch". ill try to find some info

3. Hijak Sep 10, 2015

Hey Bacaitlin,

Sorry to hear about your Dads passing! This is a nice piece of family history to remember him by. Based on the case design and the fonts used on the dial I'd estimate this to be from the early to mid 60s with a cal. 56x movement inside. Omega just changed the vintage data base and I can't find the new link at the moment and without a serial or reference number this is the best I can do right now. When I find link I"ll include it and any additional info I find. This is a nice heirloom piece!

Cheers,
    Ed

bacaitlin likes this.
  4. Hijak Sep 10, 2015

5. bacaitlin Sep 10, 2015

Thanks Hijak. Usually I don't even think twice about popping the caseback to regulate the movement or to just see what's behind the dial but in this instance, the watch probably hasn't been serviced in 15 years or so and I don't want to pop it open and have something fall out.

6. Hijak Sep 10, 2015

I completely understand! As you probably already know a service is in order if it hasn't been serviced in that long, especially if you want to wear it regularly. You can ask your watchmaker to snap a picture of the inner caseback and movement while it's there and you'll have all the info for this watch you need.

bacaitlin likes this.
  7. rogart ray it again, Ram. Sep 10, 2015

I think that is a 165.020 seamaster around 1962 before they put De ville on the dial . Waterproof case with frontloader movement .

bacaitlin likes this.
  8. bacaitlin Sep 10, 2015

The one on the right is as close to my dad's watch model but it has the 'deVille' on the dial and is missing the double markers at 3, 6, 9 and 12. The 'Seamaster' font is also different. The bracelet is the same.

[​IMG]

9. bacaitlin Sep 10, 2015

Okay, I think I found one that is gold plate/gold filled from one the web. This one's even got the same weird font for the letter 'S'. In looking at the caseback more closely, it doesn't seem to be one of those backs where you snap into the case, it looks like it's one piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hijak Sep 10, 2015

This is another front loader, my Seamaster De Ville is also like this. Unfortunately I believe this one is a redial, the "S" in seamaster looks wrong, among other things. If you look at the minute track on both sides of the twelve marker you'll see how off and messy they are (notice how close the one minute mark is and how far the fifty-nine minute mark is from the twelve marker). The "automatic" on the dial looks off as well. So this is not a good example for comparison.