Forums Latest Members
  1. Astrorn4 May 2, 2022

Hello everyone!

I’m finally in a position where I can afford to purchase my dream watch; an Omega Seamaster Professional.

I really like the smooth dial of the last generation (the SMPc), and I’ve read that the 2500D is a fairly decent movement. I found some "like new" offerings at some decent prices. I just have a couple of questions that I am hoping you all with experience can help me out with!

1. How long can I expect this watch to last? Do I have to baby it? I want to pass this watch on to my son, but I also want to use this watch daily until then (he’s only one right now).

2. How durable is the bracelet? Will it last the lifetime of the watch, or will I need a replacement eventually? I have heard of bracelet “stretch” and have seen some photos of this bracelet in particular with some flattening of the links on the outer side that contacts tables and such. I don’t mind cosmetic issues, but how robust is the bracelet with regard to functionality?

3. I’d like to fit a micro-adjust clasp to the bracelet, and I believe they come in three sizes; what size should I get? I can’t try any on since my AD has to special order it.

4. I know the newer movements have a longer service interval, but how often should I expect to service the SMPc with a 2500D movement?

5. I love the smooth dial, size, and engraved caseback of the SMPc, but am I making a mistake by not getting the newest version with METAS certification? For normal daily wear in an office setting and normal “dad” stuff, is the METAS certification really that big of a deal?

I appreciate all of your help and expertise!

Omega D, flw, Robbla and 1 other person like this.
  2. DoctorEvil May 2, 2022

Hi there and welcome.
    My Seamaster Pro is with the first gen midsize, reference 2551.80. However, I think my experience with this watch can still provide you with some guidance on what to expect. I'll try to provide the best answers to your questions:
    1. You can expect these watches to last a lifetime. They're a solid, reliable workhorse and can take a lot of beating. I've worn mine swimming, playing golf and indoor rock climbing and it still works fine. I'm planning on passing mine on to my son as well. You only need to baby it if you want it to keep looking like new. But personally, I think watches (especially tool watches) should be worn and enjoyed.
    2. I've found the bracelet to be durable and comfortable to wear. Haven't noticed any deformation or any stretch in my bracelet and I've had my watch brand new since 2005. The clasp on mine is well known for picking up fine scratches but they're easily polished out at service time.
    3. Sorry, I can't answer that one.
    4. From memory reading the instruction book, Omega recommends servicing every 3-5 years for non coaxial movements and every 5-7 years for coaxial movements. If you're planning on using the watch in water regularly, Omega recommends changing the seals and gaskets and pressure testing the watch every 12 months.
    5. I don't have experience with the latest Seamaster Pro with the 8xxx movements so I can't answer this question. However, from reading other people's posts they seem to be very accurate watches, achieving average daily rates of +1 to +2 seconds a day. Maybe someone else can chime in here and confirm this.

Hope this is some help to you and good luck with your quest.

Obligatory watch pic:
    PXL_20220430_024610323.jpg
    They really are great watches.

Omega D, hen, pmontoyap and 1 other person like this.
  3. DoctorEvil May 2, 2022

@gbesq
    I seem to recall that you've got one of these Seamaster Pros with the 2500 movement and smooth dial. Are you able to help this member with his inquires? Thanks in advance.

4. BAJJ May 3, 2022

Hi Astrom,
    I have one of these, bought new in 2016. I love it and it is my go to watch for all activities, I have been very remiss in some of the things I have done with it, DIY, engine servicing, gardening, boat maintenance, skiing, etc, etc, and it deals with it in its stride, it is very robust, despite all the abuse I have subjected it too it remains accurate, -4sec a day all day everyday since day one. It has its battle scars but not too many. The bracelet has probably the worst wear but nothing that affects it's functionality, there is no stretch so far.
    It also looks great in the office or at social and dinner events, It even has enough bling to be noticeable to the younger Instagram generation, a 23 year old friend of my daughters was all over it last Saturday.
    So, in answer to your questions, I have no doubt that this watch will last a lifetime, it will see me out and I also plan to leave it to my 19y.o. son.
    I haven't serviced it yet but plan to do so next year when it is 7 years old, servicing I would recommend for sure.
    I'm afraid I don't have a micro adjust clasp so can't advise on that.
    Regarding whether you get the newer one with the Metas cert, again, not sure I can answer that I could answer that, I'm not that focused on accuracy, a few seconds a day doesn't bother me.
    It's a great watch, the dial is amazing, deep glossy black, sometimes bottomless if that makes sense, great lume, the case is amazing and bracelet very comfortable, it wears very well indeed , I really do think it is nicer than the newer generation but I am biased, one thing I can say for sure is that you will not be disappointed with it.
    And as no post is complete without a couple of photos
    IMG_20220503_081416.jpg IMG_20220503_081341.jpg

DoctorEvil and hen like this.
  5. KnoP May 6, 2022

If you see the peroduction date of vintage watches here and consider that the movement nowardays are hoghdnd masterpieces you can be confident that your son can pass it to his son one time ;)
    i hope we see some pics when you pull the trigger, with that you create a great history from then on… congrats in advance ;)

6. 502 to right May 6, 2022

I've owned multiple of this version of the SMPc, both blue and black, so I consider myself well qualified to address this:

1. How long can I expect this watch to last? Do I have to baby it? I want to pass this watch on to my son, but I also want to use this watch daily until then (he’s only one right now).

The watch will last as long as any high end watch like a Rolex. You do not have to baby it. It should easily be able to be passed down to your son.

2. How durable is the bracelet? Will it last the lifetime of the watch, or will I need a replacement eventually? I have heard of bracelet “stretch” and have seen some photos of this bracelet in particular with some flattening of the links on the outer side that contacts tables and such. I don’t mind cosmetic issues, but how robust is the bracelet with regard to functionality?

The bracelet is extremely durable. As durable as any bracelet made today. Plus when you have the watch serviced by Omega they will replace any worn out pins and/or screws.

3. I’d like to fit a micro-adjust clasp to the bracelet, and I believe they come in three sizes; what size should I get? I can’t try any on since my AD has to special order it.

You want to order part number 117STZ001154 for the six point adjustable clasp or 0117STZ004666 for the 3 point adjustable clasp. Here's more info: https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/adjustable-clasp-conversion-compilation.5396509/#post-54919859

I would recommend the 6 point clasp. It's longer than the 3 point clasp but with 6 positions of adjustment, it gives you a really large range of movement.

4. I know the newer movements have a longer service interval, but how often should I expect to service the SMPc with a 2500D movement?

I would guess 7-10 years. I would be more concerned about the water resistant gaskets than the movement. I will also say that anything negative you've heard about the 2500 movement does not apply to the 2500D version (which was the final iteration of the 2500 movement). By that D version all of the growing pains from the 2500A, 2500B, and 2500C had been worked out. Omega still makes watches to this day with the 2500D movement (the DeVille's, there may be more) so reliability is not a concern.

5. I love the smooth dial, size, and engraved caseback of the SMPc, but am I making a mistake by not getting the newest version with METAS certification? For normal daily wear in an office setting and normal “dad” stuff, is the METAS certification really that big of a deal?

I think METAS certification is nice, but not a necessity. My SMPc's have all been around +1 to +4 seconds per day. I think the current version of the SMP is too large and too thick for my 6.75 inch wrist. I think the 41mm versions of the watch are very nicely proportioned and I currently wear a 41mm 2220.80 SMP with the 2500D movement.

Edited May 6, 2022
    flw likes this.