Help with deciding first vintage Omega watch

I am deciding between two vintage Omega Seamasters. I am a first-time vintage Omega buyer and couldn't tell if any of the parts have been replaced or not. Any thoughts on the watches? Are they worth the price? Both watches are listed on Chrono24.

Omega Seamaster 165.001 around $1900
https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega-seamaster--id32513619.htm

Omega Seamaster 166.001 around $2200
https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omeg...watch---serviced---ref-166001--id30993426.htm

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 12.09.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 12.09.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 12.06.46 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 12.07.11 AM.png
Edited:

Like 1
Not an expert by any means, but here's my 2 cents.

For the 165.001 I generally don't trust sellers who can't make a few good quality photos. Not close enough, blurry and at weird angles. The dial is suspiciously pristine, but the blurry photos may hide small imperfections and honestly, nothing there looks off. Condition of the case is hard for me to judge; it looks good but it's a guess.

The 166.001 is well presented. Really like the patina on the dial. Case looks maybe slightly polished but not a big deal. Out of the 2, I quite like this one.

On another note, as this is your first vintage Omega, there's a million references from different eras that you could find interesting. If you stick around the forums you'll get a better understanding of what's out there and how to tell them apart.

Like 1
How did you come up with these two? Did you have a look at the Seamaster references from the 50s? Every decade has some differences in design, I would have a look before closing on any particular type. If you scroll down this topic, there are some reference threads (e.g. the one about the 2577) that you can read and maybe your preferences will shift

Like 1
Like 2
Not an expert by any means, but here's my 2 cents.

For the 165.001 I generally don't trust sellers who can't make a few good quality photos. Not close enough, blurry and at weird angles. The dial is suspiciously pristine, but the blurry photos may hide small imperfections and honestly, nothing there looks off. Condition of the case is hard for me to judge; it looks good but it's a guess.

The 166.001 is well presented. Really like the patina on the dial. Case looks maybe slightly polished but not a big deal. Out of the 2, I quite like this one.

On another note, as this is your first vintage Omega, there's a million references from different eras that you could find interesting. If you stick around the forums you'll get a better understanding of what's out there and how to tell them apart.
Thanks for the tips! I'm leaning towards the 166.001 too. Exploring those vintage Omega references sounds like a plan. Appreciate the advice!

Like 1
How did you come up with these two? Did you have a look at the Seamaster references from the 50s? Every decade has some differences in design, I would have a look before closing on any particular type. If you scroll down this topic, there are some reference threads (e.g. the one about the 2577) that you can read and maybe your preferences will shift
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't checked the reference yet, but I'll definitely do that.

Your best bet for finding an authentic vintage Omega in good condition at a fair price is right here on OF on the private watch sales forum: Private Watch Sales | Omega Forums

Nice examples of vintage Seamasters from the 50's, 60's and 70's come up for sale with some frequency. Here's an example that was for sale and is now OHPF (on hold pending funds): OHPF - 14K Solid Gold 1950 Omega Seamaster Date @ 6 - Reference 2627 - Signed Five Times | Omega Forums
Thanks! I'll check out the private watch sales. I've been watching it but haven't found a match yet. Appreciate the recommendation!

Both watches look legit at first glance, but I haven't taken the time to research the specific references. You would want to do that, obviously, and carefully look at every detail, e.g. the style of the crown.

For valuation, you should find other examples of the same references and compare sales prices (not asking prices), making adjustments for condition. For example, the condition of the dial on the second watch will reduce the value.

If you don't want to get involved in so much research, another approach is simply to buy a watch with a warranty from an established dealer. You will pay a premium of course, but TBH, you will pay a premium if you buy on C24 anyway.

Like 1
Both watches look legit at first glance, but I haven't taken the time to research the specific references. You would want to do that, obviously, and carefully look at every detail, e.g. the style of the crown.

For valuation, you should find other examples of the same references and compare sales prices (not asking prices), making adjustments for condition. For example, the condition of the dial on the second watch will reduce the value.

If you don't want to get involved in so much research, another approach is simply to buy a watch with a warranty from an established dealer. You will pay a premium of course, but TBH, you will pay a premium if you buy on C24 anyway.
Thanks a lot. I just looked into the crowns on the watches and found out there was a defect on the second watch's crown. Appreciate your tips.

You may also want to give a bit more consideration to what is patina vs what is dial damage. Many potenttial buyers, me included, would be put off by the dial on that second watch. I don't find that dial to be attractive at all and I certainly wouldn't pay a C24 premium for it. To me, here's a good example of a nice even patina that adds to the vintage character of the watch:
1379780-be0fd52b2f3c3137d6543df098ba847b.jpg

Like 1
You may also want to give a bit more consideration to what is patina vs what is dial damage. Many potenttial buyers, me included, would be put off by the dial on that second watch. I don't find that dial to be attractive at all and I certainly wouldn't pay a C24 premium for it. To me, here's a good example of a nice even patina that adds to the vintage character of the watch:
1379780-be0fd52b2f3c3137d6543df098ba847b.jpg
Thank you for your input. Your example is helpful!

I personally prefer the first watch. The pictures aren’t great and the angles are slightly odd, but can’t find much wrong with it. The case is difficult to assess however as there is no single crisp picture. I would ask for sharper pictures if interested. At this price you can ask about service (and proof of it) if ever there was one recently. eBay sold listings provides good comparison points. Check the reference of the watch in google adding site: omegaforum.net to find other threads and examples to compare to.

For me the dial on the second is too far gone. But that’s just my preference. Some like it, some don’t. I personally would not be ready to pay more for this. Again doesn’t necessarily matter if you make this a daily wearer and you like it. But it will shrink slightly the audience in case of a future sale.

Like 1
I personally prefer the first watch. The pictures aren’t great and the angles are slightly odd, but can’t find much wrong with it. The case is difficult to assess however as there is no single crisp picture. I would ask for sharper pictures if interested. At this price you can ask about service (and proof of it) if ever there was one recently. eBay sold listings provides good comparison points. Check the reference of the watch in google adding site: omegaforum.net to find other threads and examples to compare to.

For me the dial on the second is too far gone. But that’s just my preference. Some like it, some don’t. I personally would not be ready to pay more for this. Again doesn’t necessarily matter if you make this a daily wearer and you like it. But it will shrink slightly the audience in case of a future sale.
Thanks for the advice! I'll ask for clearer pictures of the first watch. Your thoughts on the second watch's dial are noted. Appreciate it!