Forums Latest Members

Help with Crack on my Speedmaster Hesalite Crystal

1. rim3hc Feb 26, 2018

Just noticed that there appear to be an internal crack on my Hesalite crystal and wanted to get a second opinion before trying to replace it.

They look like hairline feathers in the crystal and the first picture shows how the light looks different in that one spot now.

Didn't drop or smack the watch to my recollection so was shocked when I looked down and saw the crack on the crystal.

This is a new to me 3572.50 and I don't know the service history, so would it make sense to just bite the bullet and do a full service at this time too?

Really appreciate any help or suggestions you guys might have!

Omega Crystal 1.jpg Omega Crystal 2.jpg Omega Crystal 3.jpg

2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 26, 2018

That's a crack alright. Is the crystal Omega? It looks like the kind of crack that comes from a rough installation.

Edited Feb 26, 2018
  3. rim3hc Feb 26, 2018

Yeah it's an OEM Omega one. All I've had done was get the band adjusted and doubt that could have been it.

Oh well, seems like I've got a magic crystal destroying touch haha.

4. AnotherDon Feb 26, 2018

Yup, it's cracked alright. If it were me, I'd just try to live with it until it needs service. If it bothered me too much, then I'd take it to my watchmaker and have a service done including the crystal replacement.

repoman and Foo2rama like this.
  5. rim3hc Feb 26, 2018

Cool, that was definitely my next question, whether or not it'd be ok to let the crystal be for now or if that kind of crack would require an immediate service.

I think I can live with it for now, but we'll see how long that lasts before the OCD sets in!

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2018

No water for you.

7. jimmyd13 Feb 26, 2018

Not only is that a crack but it indicates an impact. You probably caught it at just the wrong angle or spot and didn't even notice. For the price, I'd just get in touch with your friendly neighbourhood watchmaker and order a replacement. The service is your call based on the age of the watch.

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 26, 2018

I would not live with it. With a crystal crack there is a chance for moisture intrusion.

apsm100 likes this.
  9. rim3hc Feb 26, 2018

That makes sense. Sounds like it might be full service time with a crystal replacement.

10. Meme-Dweller Feb 26, 2018

With a competent watchmaker, it's quick and easy without the need for a service. I cracked mine once and replaced it myself in under 20 mins

kingsrider likes this.
  11. repoman Feb 26, 2018

good point on moisture... I initially thought "live with it", because my speedy's don't get near water, but its a cheap fix so better safe than sorry.

12. rim3hc Feb 26, 2018

Man seriously, you guys and this community are the best!

Really appreciate all the advice and will, at a minimum, get the crystal replaced shortly.

13. micks_address May 24, 2020

Hi, sorry to drag up and old thread. Looks like I have a similar crack on my hesalite. How did you end up getting fixed?

14. rim3hc May 26, 2020

Hi ended up sending it out to a watch repair service shop with an Omega parts account. Replaced the hesalite and did a full service. The crystal itself isn't that expensive. Not sure if that helps you, but let me know if you have any other questions.

15. micks_address May 26, 2020

Thanks I've something similar on my own. I don't mind it from a cosmetic point of view but just wondering if it might let moisture in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. MRC May 26, 2020

Yes it probably will, get it fixed!

bitmapfff.jpg