Forums Latest Members

Help with buying my first Speedmaster 145.022-69 (cal 861)

1. CyrusR Oct 21, 2015

Hello everybody,

I am buying my first speedmaster (just turned 30) and I've been reading through the forum and checking online sources such as speedmaster101.
    I came into a listing for speedmaster professional 145.022-69 ST (cal 861) and I was wondering if I can get some of your valuable advice and insights.

To start off the watch looks great on the first look, looks like one you will want to wear everyday ;)
    It's a 145.022-69 ST (sn 316190x) it doesnt match roman's serial number but looking at speedmaster 101 it does fit in the 70 (seller says it's circa 1970), seller says it's a transitional but I dont see any applied logo and hour indices are not stretch all the way to the sides so I am guessing it's the normal -69 series produced btw 68-70.
    Dial is stepped and has the T-Swiss on the buttom, the case to my amateur eye didn't looked heavily polished and it's DN90 (?)
    The case back is the seahorse which I am not sure if it has to be like that or has to have straight writing and finally it comes with the leather strap and no PnS.

Overall looks good, chrono and watch work and wind fine and seller says hands are original.
    The seller has it priced 2300$.

any insight and comment is much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Cyrus

IMG_0079.jpg IMG_0081.jpg IMG_0082.jpg IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0085.jpg IMG_0086.jpg IMG_0087.jpg IMG_0088.jpg IMG_0089.jpg IMG_0091.jpg

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 21, 2015

The watch has some major issues IMHO.
    Firstly, the dial appears to have had all its lume shaved off which is unsightly.
    Second the bezel is not the original bezel but is a modern replacement.

The movement number is ok as it is near the upper limit for a premoon 145.022-69. The seahorse is rather worn which indicates the watch had lots of wear.

Case looks polished as well. Probably from the service that led to the lume shaving and replacement bezel.
    The hands may be original but the minute hand needs a paint job.

This reference is easy to find and you can do better

Good luck!

CyrusR likes this.
  3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 21, 2015

I agree with @gemini4 that there exist better examples. The mark at the hour register is unsightly as well, and I only mentioned it because the Speedmaster models are frequently found with excellent dials.
    However, it seems to me the price is adjusted for its deficiencies? Others may not agree...
    Kirill finds a lot of nice watches, but the finest examples will be priced high. Still I think it's best to wait for a nicer example. If the watch checks all your boxes, I think the price is fair for what it is, and Kirill is a good seller.

CyrusR likes this.
  4. CyrusR Oct 22, 2015

Thank you @gemini4 and @Time Exposure for your replies. I will pass on this one and probably do some more research ;)

5. tony72cutlass's' Oct 22, 2015

Is ebay the best place to look now a days since the japanese market got more expensive or is it best to just trust sellers on this forum?

I'm trying to keep my eye open for a nice example of a caliber 861 or later speedmaster to compliment my mark II

thanks!

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 22, 2015

I depend on which reference 861 Speedmaster you desire. A 145.022-68 thru 145.022-78 is collectable and supply is shrinking. With these years you need to be more careful.

The later 145.022 861 are more abundant and easier to find. In addition, there is less of a chance that the post 78 watches would be missing key components thru service or donoring for an older watch. There are plenty of nice 861 watches that pass thru Ebay. As always, consider watches from established sellers, with good pictures and (if possible) are returnable.

7. tony72cutlass's' Oct 22, 2015

Sounds good, i've got a filter set up on ebay that tracks well known sellers and hope to see something come through them.

I'm really looking for something very wearable that i'm not worried about being subjected to daily use.

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 23, 2015

If there isn't already, I think there will be narrow focus on this period of Speedmaster due to all the varieties: step dial (my personal favorite), 220 bezels, straight text, Delrin brake...
    If I'm not mistaken (because I'm too lazy to consult the Moonwatch Only bible (which I highly recommend for any collector level)), the -78 was the last case stamped with a year of manufacture.
    I'm a fan of the caliber 321 models myself, but I can't help thinking I should look for a 220 bezel example and a straight text example before prices skyrocket (trend is already being exposed)...