Help with buying first vintage constellation (pie pan)

Hi everyone,

I'm in South America right now, and I came across an omega constellation from a vintage jeweler that I loved. I know so little about watches that I thought maybe I could post here to get some help before making a huge purchase. The jeweler wanted $3800 for this 18k gold constellation but I think I can negotiate down to $3200. I unfortunately only took pictures of the front (see below), but can ask the jeweler for more photos of the movement/back/whatever you think is necessary. I know the band is not original.

I don't need everything to be perfect. Ultimately I want to wear this watch, so it doesn't need to be the collector's perfect constellation. But I do want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of given my limited knowledge and am not buying a fake.

IMG_4297.jpg IMG_4299.jpg IMG_4293.jpg IMG_4294.jpg
Edited:

If that is damage to the dial, it would be a pass for me.

Too much polishing and while dial is evenly patinated it’s too far gone for a gold watch.

It's the polishing that would make it a no for me at that price. No polishing and a little nicer dial to get that much $$$.

It's the polishing that would make it a no for me at that price. No polishing and a little nicer dial to get that much $$$.

I appreciate your help and feedback on the watch, especially as I'm just starting to learn more about them and am trying to be smart about my purchases. @Bruce235 and @Larry S--how can you tell it's overpolished from the pictures alone? I'd think you'd have to look at the constellation logo on the back.

The lugs should have sharper edges and a visible facet on the bezel. Gold cases are often softer but a factory fresh one will be quite sharp.

The watch has some appeal, but I personally feel that the condition isn't good enough to warrant that price.

As for polishing, the originally sharp edges of the lugs have been polished so that they are now soft and rounded.

20231202_194502.jpg 20231202_194631.jpg Here is my gold connie, it is a different case reference, but you can compare the sharpness.20231020_134135.jpg 20230726_091538.jpg
Edited: