Forums Latest Members
  1. Rolexfan33 Oct 1, 2015

Hi everyone,

New member here.

I thought I figured this out but I guess I'm still lost. The seller says the dial and bezel have been refinished - and this is obvious from the photos.

However, I'm still a little worried this might be a frankenwatch. I've checked old Omega Catalogues from the year this watch would have been produced and the hands, dial, case and movement add up. Just looking for some more clarity if possible?

Any help you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks.

300_3.JPG $_57.JPG 300_2.JPG 300_1.JPG
  2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 1, 2015

Why didn't you stop at refinished dial?

emilio and LarryG like this.
  3. hugo Oct 1, 2015

Dial obviously had been rewritten. The word seamaster 300 show it very clear

Lume on hands had been refinished

Movement had been changed some parts due to different shade of metal

Good luck

4. hugo Oct 1, 2015

Anyway. This case back should be on year1962 as transitional period

Because this is 14755 dial model but this dial also still be found in that 1962. 165.014 model as transitional year

5. Rolexfan33 Oct 1, 2015

Hi Hugo,

Thanks so much for the information. I'm gathering this is a frankenwatch by your comments. However, in an effort to learn more, I don't understand your last comment?

So this watch is likely from a transitional year, where this dial would have been offered?

Sorry, but I'm very new to Omega's.

6. hugo Oct 1, 2015

image.jpeg
  7. hugo Oct 1, 2015

This is typical dial for 165014 (on my picture )Model
    The one that you post With arrow hand is 14755 dial. And it could happen in 1962 as transitional period when 14755 turn to 165014. There are some 165014 model that use 14755 dial.

; )

8. hugo Oct 1, 2015

As Sotheby's ever sold the transitional model as well

image.png
  9. Rolexfan33 Oct 1, 2015

Hugo..th
    Hugo...thanks once again.

This is only adding to my confusion. You see, I'm actually ok with the dial and bezel being refinished. Would prefer not but as this is going to be a long time investment for me, I'm hoping I'll develop a patina for myself. :)

This watch is supposed to be from 1963 - which means it SHOULD have the stick hands instead of the arrow hands (as everyone says).

However, I was able to find an Omega catalogue from 1962 and 3 and the catalogues shows the arrow hands. The hands don't change in the catalogue until 1964.

This one is from the UK in 1964 - stick hands. 1964_uk.jpg

This one is an english language catalogue from 1964 - arrow hands. huh? lol 1964_ENG.jpg

And finally, this image is from a 1964 German catalogue showing arrow hands. huh x2
    1964-1German.jpg

So confused.

Ok - here's my last 2 questions if you don't mind?

1) Do you think this is for sure a frakenwatch? Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but, the different coloured metal in the movement - I see it now - but couldn't this be just due to lighting?

2) If this is in fact a frankenwatch, what do you think the value would be?

10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 1, 2015

It stopped being an investment when the dial was refinished...you can "add all the patina" you want, it will never change the fact that this dial is refinished and it will never be an investment. Personally I would not be so concerned with it being a franken, the dial has already killed the value.

toddle321, Davidt and emilio like this.
  11. Rolexfan33 Oct 1, 2015

My bad with using the word..investment. I'd say 99% of watches are poor investments and anyone that says otherwise is joking themselves.

What I meant by the word investment is - I'm going to purchase the watch with the intention of keeping it for a long long time. The thought of it going up in value never really occurred to me.

12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 1, 2015

My advise is don't buy a SM300 with refinished dial...its not that hard to find an honest one if you are patient. Even if they were asking half price, I would avoid a refinished dial...your value is mostly in the dial.

Davidt likes this.
  13. hugo Oct 2, 2015

1 I'm not so sure about that but as be optimistic you can think that might happen as part service.

2. The value that it hard to estimate honestly. If you want to buy whether for you using everyday or investment. I suggest that you shouldn't buy this one

Imo. this model that seem to be rare but if you patient enough. I think you will get it finally. Don't be hurry.

Good luck

14. cristos71 Oct 2, 2015

Those hands look like modern service replacements too. No age to them and the lume looks new.

As the others have said the refinished dial with "T Swiss Made T" kills it before anything else.

Edited Oct 2, 2015
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 2, 2015

Most likely the barrel bridge (the pink coloured part) was simply replaced during a service due to wear. This alone does not make it a frankenwatch in my view - there is no real advantage to replacing this part other than to make the watch work properly.

The dial and hands however are a mess, so I would personally pass on this one.

Cheers, Al

16. TNTwatch Oct 2, 2015

Beside the redial, the listing also states the bezel has been refinished. These are the two most valuable parts of this model, having been refinished has reduced this watch to parts value. Decide for yourself if $2.8K of parts is worth it or not. It just happens to have been on sale for several months already.

17. Rolexfan33 Oct 2, 2015

Hi Archer,

In the interest of learning more about these watched and what to look out for - can you please tell me how the dial and hands are a mess?

For my Omega-Virgin eyes, although the dial has been refinished, it doesn't look all that bad to me. The hands are definitely new from what I can gather?

18. abrod520 Oct 2, 2015

Seconded - it looks like a faithful refinish of the dial to original looks, for the most part?

19. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 2, 2015

The value of these Seamasters is in the originality of the dial and bezel...if you don't care about this then its attractive yes, but thats it. It will never be worth more than the parts and thats far less than the asking price. The real question is: If you want a vintage watch, why on earth would you want one that is not legit? Just buy the new model Seamster which was made to look like this vintage and you have a far superior watch...and one that you can actually dive with :)

italy1861, Davidt, Archer and 2 others like this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 2, 2015

As I said in my email reply to the OP, if this is what he wants and is okay with the redial and new hands, then by all means buy it. But considering this is meant to be a long term keeper, my feeling is eventually the problems will pick away at you, and you will want to make it right (expensive and will take a long time) or you will want to unload it, and then you will take a hit financially due to the problems...

Cheers, Al

RawArcher and CajunTiger like this.