Forums Latest Members

Help with a bezel restoration

1. Skipper_S Apr 18, 2020

Hello OF community!

Recently I bought a seiko navigator and I would like your opinion about the bezel restoration.

is it possible to fix those imperfections you see in picture?
    What should I use? A toothpaste is only good for glass or for the bezel too or have to visit a watchmaker so he can polish the bezel?

Thanks in advance for your input!

C78E862B-D79B-406B-99B0-A4F2A1C53CE2.png
  2. ZIELSZIEK Apr 18, 2020

Hello there.
    I'm guessing you are referring to the bezel insert as the bezel itself appears to be in great shape. First of all let me state that I wouldn't touch it at all. Why would one want a new looking bezel insert on an old watch? It's part of the timepiece's character.
    Do not use toothpaste. Do not use anything on it. As far as I know bezels and inserts cannot be restored and definitely not this one. I have seen some attempts but they were rather crude.
    Plus, this particular timepiece looks great, having uniform patina all over. Keep in mind that these are true toolwatches and have been used accordingly.
    If you really want to, you could hunt down a nos insert or a whole bezel and insert assembly, but I wouldn't do that.
    Having a new bezel or bezel insert on an old watch that shows proper patina would look off to me.
    Then again, whatever strikes your fancy

Edited Apr 18, 2020
    Skipper_S likes this.
  3. Skipper_S Apr 18, 2020

Thanks for your input! Yes I was referring to bezel insert!
    I will inspect it carefully when I receive it and decide. If the scratch near 13 is visible I will consider fix only this!

thanks again!

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  4. Skipper_S Apr 18, 2020

The real Problem is where to find an original bracelet of this....:(

5. ZIELSZIEK Apr 18, 2020

Not a problem at all. Ebay has you covered. They come up from time to time. Quick search yielded a couple of navigator bracelets but they were not correct for yours. All it takes is a bit of patience. Make sure to get the proper style. Here you will have to do some research because I cannot pinpoint exactly what bracelet is correct for yours, I'm not an expert. I'm guessing the proof and resist watches do not share the same bracelet. Pics are not mine.
    navigator.jpg

seikob.png
    This one is in color and was taken from here:
    https://www.watchhunter.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/1969_Seiko_JDM_Catalog_No.2.pdf
    Vintage catalogs are great for determining the proper original bracelet. It'd start by determining the year on yours and finding out what the original bracelet looks like.

Edited Apr 18, 2020
    Skipper_S likes this.
  6. Skipper_S Apr 18, 2020

The first one is the correct