Forums Latest Members
  1. SandyinAnaheim Jun 11, 2014

Hello everyone -

I recently purchased a solid 18k WG ladies Omega De Ville that is in what appears to be superb condition. I have not been able to find it or a similar one, or a single thing about it on the internet or on the Omega Vintage DB. I took it in to my local Omega shop and they were stunned by the watch and found one very similar to it in the Journey Through Time book, pg 407 if I remember correctly. The only difference according to the gentleman was that the band in the book was etched or had a design on it. He guessed it was from 1971 and that the band is a Milanese? The value he estimated it to be was 6x what I paid for it, which would make me a very happy little camper indeed if accurate.

He called Omega HQ and forwarded them these pictures, but the lady he wanted to speak to was out sick. I went in to see if the could make the band a little bit bigger. The watch is 6", which I thought would fit my 6" wrist, but alas - this measurement includes the clasp. They sent me to a jeweler in the building who quoted me a LOT of money to add a rung to the clasp, the only solution to make it a little bigger it would seem.

I read on another recent thread that these solid gold watches are only worth the value of their gold and the mechanics, unless one can find a collector. If I can find watches like this one at the price I got it - I think I'll become a collector!! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it....my palms got sweaty and I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. ;)

Any assistance you could provide in helping to identify this beauty would be greatly appreciated. The case back interior confirms it is 18k, the serial number on the 620 caliber is 30637201. The symbol on the clasp looks a little yellow in the picture, but not so in person - it's just a photographic illusion. It's breathtaking in person.

18k WG diamonds1.jpg 18k WG diamonds2.jpg 18k WG diamonds4.jpg 18k WG diamonds3.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 11, 2014

I think you have it pretty well covered on all of the info you've posted.

As far as vintage Omega collector value goes it's pretty well nil.

Omega made many variants of fancy ladies cocktail watches all the way through the 50s to the 80s and still make ladies special editions today.

Watches like yours were generally very small production runs and had many variants so pinning it down to a specific model would be hard.

As you've correctly figured out, it isn't woth much for collectors, and if you are unable to wear it you may be able to sell it, but be aware it will only recover the value of the gold, less any overheads the buyer would have to consider, unless of course you can find somebody who wants it for exactly what it is.

The movement could be removed for parts but again, there's not much demand for a 620 as a parts watch so it may take some time to move.

Best of luck whichever direction you choose.

3. SandyinAnaheim Jun 11, 2014

Hi Jim -

Thanks so much for your response! I've seen so many other newbs get answered right away and was dismayed that no one responded to me.... :(

I didn't realize it had little value for collectors, I just repeated what I've seen on so many other threads. The gentleman at the Omega shop certainly didn't think it had no collector's value. This is my first Omega, and hopefully not my last. ::jumpy::

It really is in impeccable condition and I'm going to have a rung added to the clasp in order to be able to extend it the 1/3" I need.

So that brings up the obvious subject, what makes certain Omegas collectible? One would logically think rarity would be a factor, but this appears not to be the case here. Condition would probably be another obvious factor, but again, not here. So what Omega watches are collectible, who determines that, and is that ever elusive list always changing?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2014

Hi Jim -

Thanks so much for your response! I've seen so many other newbs get answered right away and was dismayed that no one responded to me.... :(

We have members all over the world, many would have been asleep when you posted, and others may have seen your post and not knowing anything of value to add, just moved on. Most of the fast newbie answers are because the item interests or amazes us, or is so patently horrible that everyone has to jump in and have a say. :D

I didn't realize it had little value for collectors, I just repeated what I've seen on so many other threads. The gentleman at the Omega shop certainly didn't think it had no collector's value. This is my first Omega, and hopefully not my last. ::jumpy::

Many people may like to own a watch like yours, but a watch collector (most of them) would have little interest in this style of watch.
    Don't be like the man at the Ω shop and confuse price, rarity and beauty with collectibility, they are very different beasts and only occasionally may be seen together. You have a fine start to a collection of Ωs, and the market for you will be much wider as there are a surplus of ladies watches compared to collectible mens watches.

It really is in impeccable condition and I'm going to have a rung added to the clasp in order to be able to extend it the 1/3" I need.

Excellent, enjoy it while you look for more ;)

So that brings up the obvious subject, what makes certain Omegas collectible? One would logically think rarity would be a factor, but this appears not to be the case here. Condition would probably be another obvious factor, but again, not here. So what Omega watches are collectible, who determines that, and is that ever elusive list always changing?

Collectors are a strange bunch. There are some that only want to collect one brand, and only one example of each model or caliber, and will continue their quest, often selling one to make way for exactly the same one but in better condition.

There are others who only seek watches with historical significance, the "Speedmaster Moonies" for example, who will go to extraordinary lengths to capture exactly the same reference worn by Neil Armstrong, and will shun a watch with the wrong font, or short hands............I could go on forever.

Gold chronometers and chronographs are known to attract salivating Ω buffs like lawyers to an accident scene.

If you check the WRUW thread, and check some of the posts about "incomings" you'll start to understand what makes it so hard to define "collectible". It all comes down to an individual's tastes, and the size of their bank account.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Not much of that here, but I hope I've given you a bit of background.

Now if you're a sensible mature adult, this is your chance to turn away and run, not walk, and save yourself.

For if you decide to stay and indulge in this horological hobby, you will be on a slippery slope to penury, forever seeking the next grail and participating in lengthy dissertations on the shape of the coathanger "S" on a 1950 Seamaster.

5. Mothra Jun 12, 2014

I think the key thing is that ladies can wear other Jewellery and also don't seem to have the fascination for the mechanics of the watchmakers art that barely grown up men do - the upshot is that there are very few ladies watch collectors, and so ladies watches are not in demand, regardless of how scarce the supply. It also doesn't help that vintage ladies watches are so tiny relative to modern fashions. Given that vintage mens watches are bout the same size as modern ladies, you'd probably be better off joining the rest of us competing for them if you are focused on collectability!

6. Mothra Jun 12, 2014

Oh yeah, take what the omega dealer said with a pinch of salt. There's a lady I fruitlessly tried to help on eBay who is trying to sell a vintage seamaster for about six times its market value - because the omega dealer told her 'well the modern equivalent is this, and it costs this much, so that's the value'. She's already halved what she initially asked for but has been relishing it constantly for over six months now, all at the same crazy price. Unless you've seen your model watch sell recently, its really hard to know what its worth.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2014

Hey, hush your mouth!!! :whipped:

Let the lady focus on ladies watches!!!!

(the competition's bad enough as it is :D)

Mothra likes this.
  8. z1109r Jun 12, 2014

Now if you're a sensible mature adult, this is your chance to turn away and run, not walk, and save yourself.

For if you decide to stay and indulge in this horological hobby, you will be on a slippery slope to penury, forever seeking the next grail and participating in lengthy dissertations on the shape of the coathanger "S" on a 1950 Seamaster.[/quote]

JimInOz: You´re right! I´ve been fighting this deseace but no success! I need a Seamaster Chrono from ´64 bad.......................................I need one.....

9. lenny Jun 12, 2014

Someone has (re)listed something similar on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/271508418961Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

A more basic version (no stones) sold for about 2k.

10. SandyinAnaheim Jun 12, 2014

Yep, that one's on my watch list. He's had it up for $4,495 twice and now he's dropped it to $4k. But the diamonds are way smaller - mine carries 1 ct with E-F color as opposed to G-H, and the diamonds are set smaller and more separated, less attractive imo. On the plus side, it's an automatic with a 661 movement, mine is hand-winding with a 620. I don't know enough about movements yet to know if that one is better or not. Mine was also less than 1/2 the current price. ;)

Here's another one that's been up multiple times and is nowhere near in as good a condition as mine, also for more than double the price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141286503874Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    And another that's been up a couple of times: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380909766691Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    And this one is now at half what it was originally posted for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150960400889Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I just found mine more attractive, and the price point was right for my starter Omega.

Mothra
    I think the key thing is that ladies can wear other Jewellery and also don't seem to have the fascination for the mechanics of the watchmakers art that barely grown up men do - the upshot is that there are very few ladies watch collectors, and so ladies watches are not in demand, regardless of how scarce the supply.

Oh I'm an unusual sort. I am mechanical by nature and am fascinated by watches. I've got Watchmaking by George Daniels on order at the moment and look forward to learning about the mechanics of watches and will probably end up buying some broken mechanism to play with.

It also doesn't help that vintage ladies watches are so tiny relative to modern fashions.

I agree! I made the mistake of ordering a gorgeous platinum/diamond Hamilton from the 20s and was shocked when it arrived! The dial was the size of a dime and so delicate!! Definitely not me and back it went. My daily watch is a men's midsize two-tone Yachtmaster with a black Tahitian MOP dial, so you can imagine the difference!

Given that vintage mens watches are bout the same size as modern ladies, you'd probably be better off joining the rest of us competing for them if you are focused on collectability!

I've been hunting for a while now and wouldn't mind having a rose gold Constellation. But that desire may pass after I learn what the "collectors" are hunting for.... ::bleh::

11. John R Smith Jun 12, 2014

Curious, isn't it, that watchmakers are by and large male. You would think that it was a career that the ladies would be just as well suited to.

12. SandyinAnaheim Jun 12, 2014

JimInOz
    If you check the WRUW thread, and check some of the posts about "incomings" ...

Anyone care to point this thread out to me? I'm afraid I don't know this acronym yet and performed a search for it but nothing came up. Thanks.

13. Mothra Jun 12, 2014

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 12, 2014

Females are well suited to it, and without a doubt on the production side, most of the finishing or "pre-assembly" of individual parts that I have seen done in watch factories was done by females. The only exceptions were in the machining areas, where men seemed to run most of the machines.

I recall one lady who's job it was to insert pallet stones into pallet forks at the JLC factory in Le Sentier...

[​IMG]

She was lightning fast at it - note that the work was done under a microscope, and both sides of the pallet use a different stone.

In the area of final movement assembly, the factories had mostly men doing this. The same goes with factory service centers, and most classes I have taken for upgrades or brand certification were mostly males...

Cheers, Al