Forums Latest Members
  1. OJsakila Feb 17, 2013

I got real excited.. Combed eBay and got out bid the last second on two watches.. Finally found a great seamaster with a crosshair black face with date. I dropped $500 and bought- it -now. Now, I read these forums a little bit and I think my watch might have a non original face/dial. In the description, no model numbers were mentioned or anything... I acted purely on what the pic looked like. I am an ignorant pig. I am so much smarter now that i have spent a little time around here.. I wish I had done that first ..lol

There were several pics, the back is stainless with the seamonster on it and the crown appears to have the logo on it.. In an email he said the jeweler that "serviced" it didn't write down any models numbers for him.. He didn't ask. Later in the same email he said something about "refurbished" and that word scared me.. But I already purchased it. I don't know if he used theses words interchangeably but I'm now concerned. Here's some pics..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm new to this watch collecting thing but I'm really wanting to do the right thing. What happens if it is a different dial? Is it worthless? Should I try and send it back? I bought it on credit. Should I put it back on eBay? I wanted a watch to wear daily that is reliable and unique. I really liked this watch until I came around here and was "enlightened". the guy said in the description that it should be ready to wear because it was Just "Serviced." Later he said "refurbished". it's some guy in America and NOT overseas...

2. Jpilks Feb 17, 2013

Im no expert to this but it looks to me that it is a 'Seamaster Deville Case'. Im pretty sure the crown and hands are not original. The dial looks to be repainted but you need to wait for the more experienced members of this forum to give a full verdict.

3. Wheels Feb 17, 2013

Do you have the original eBay link mate? It will make it easier for us to view photos and description. Have you already paid for the watch and does the seller have a refund policy? If you paid via credit card through Paypal it gives you additional layers of protection. The watch appears to have the wrong crown, hands and has had the dial refinished. Are the any movement pics?

4. OJsakila Feb 17, 2013

No movement pics. I'm very concerned. I did in fact use pay pay smart credit they offered. I also just emailed him and informed him I would like a refund.

5. Jpilks Feb 17, 2013

If you post the original ebay posting the other guys on the forum can advise you on how to ensure you get your money back. For instance if the seller claimed the watch had all of its original parts.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 17, 2013

7. Wheels Feb 17, 2013

No misrepresentation as such but its hard to misrepresent something if you just don't mention it! Of course the OP should have done a bit more legwork before purchasing but at least he can get his cash back.

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2013

A Deville case with "Seamaster" on the dial is in itself a misrepresentation and the buyer is entitled to rely on the assumption that the seller has knowledge of what he is selling.

If he has a returns policy, then it should be straightforward. If he doesn't, then get ready for an argument & an eBay case :|

9. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

Hold on - while it IS a refinished dial, it could be a regular Seamaster - without De Ville on the dial.

The key to getting a refund is if the seller said "original dial". Even though the slab of metal might be original to the watch, the paint is not and therefore is not original to a collector. Case closed - refund mandatory IMO.

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2013

Fair point. I was focusing a bit too much on the technical accuracy of the "no misrepresentation" comments ;)

11. OJsakila Feb 17, 2013

Ok. Well the guy didn't argue too much. paypal has issued me a refund. Yes I should have done more legwork. But that is not a serviced seamaster. I can't find a single seamaster that omega ever made with that crown, dial, and hands. I would assume the case is wrong too.. Either way, I made a mistake and the seller understood. So did PayPal. Thank everybody around here and now I will spend a couple of days trying to find something nice and authentic that I can be happy with.

12. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

Next time you see a watch you like but aren't sure of, ask us first. ;) We love vetting vintage pieces for members.

NT931 likes this.
  13. OJsakila Feb 17, 2013

ABSOLUTLEY. I'm surfing these forums this second... You don't know how lucky I feel

MKelley and Trev like this.
  14. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

Are you looking for a cross hair dial? Do you want a Seamaster or are you open to other model lines? Give us some hints and maybe we can help.

15. OJsakila Feb 17, 2013

I'm wanting a seamaster or something similar that I can wear daily. I want it to be authentic of course. It does not have to be anything in particular. Automatic bumper or wind I guess. 1950s and 1960s. At least that's what I'm thinking. I'm in the USA. My budget is $500 or so. It should more than enough, right? I'm so scared as I look around now.. Those faces are tough to tell if they're redone..

16. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

Not for us. ;)

17. nsmike Feb 17, 2013

What size watch can you live with? 470/471 caliber watches often go for $200 to $400 but they run 30mm to 34mm for the case. The next lowest prices are C cased. Have patience and you will find one.

18. nsmike Feb 17, 2013

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 17, 2013

Your watch case should be like this. The hands should also be a dauphine with swiss made writing at bottom dial.
    front dial MR 2.jpg

20. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 18, 2013

have you taken a look at the watches for sale here? there will be a few pieces for sale at less than $500