Forums Latest Members

Help! vintage omega for a gift

1. Elliejean Apr 3, 2016

hi!

I'm looking at buying an old omega for a present but I have no idea what I'm doing. This is the watch

Omega ref 166 0169 Steel 36mm Blue Dial Day Date Geneve on Strap in Fine Original Condition from 1976

http://www.thewatchgallery.com.au/s...n-strap-in-fine-original-condition-from-1976/

I have tried endlessly searching the Internet for another one for sale or information about the watch but I haven't had any luck! All help is needed pleaseeeeee! I don't even know if the price for the watch is right..

Thank you :)

2. Elliejean Apr 3, 2016

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 4, 2016

Hi Ellie
    Welcome - lots of other Aussies around here. Bricks and mortar places, like The Watch Gallery, are always very expensive. This one is probably almost double what you might find for a similar watch elsewhere. The next problem is there is no photo of the internals - the movement and case back. Without that, we can't confirm that this isn't a "Frankenstein" watch (put together from parts). Also, we don't know the condition of the movement - rusted through? Etc.

I'd suggest looking at the Private watch sales sub forum here.
    Daniel

4. Elliejean Apr 4, 2016

Thank you Daniel! You wouldn't happen to know any local Melbourne sites? Due to it being the first watch purchase I was convinced I needed to buy it from a store so I could go and look at it however I would have no clue if it was made from different parts. Can you recommend another watch similar to this one for under $2,000 ? Doesn't have to be a vintage

Thank you :)

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 4, 2016

Under $2k is a very good budget. Does it have to be Omega? Dress or sporty? Gold or steel? Etc

For others, that's about us$1500

6. ConElPueblo Apr 4, 2016

Hi there.

Great idea to gift a vintage watch, but as said, you'll need to do your research. The one you've found is a (relatively) common model and not that sought after, so the price is rather optimistic. If it's for a gift, I'd always make sure to get a serviced watch (or buy a watch in good condition cheap and then get it serviced), as it'll otherwise be unfit for use.

Under AUS$ 2K is a huge budget! Please, PLEASE don't spend it on a watch like the one you've just showed! :eek:

7. ConElPueblo Apr 4, 2016

8. Elliejean Apr 4, 2016

im thinkjng leather strap, dress and steel. Doesn't have to be omega!

Thank you for the advice. I'll check that link out. My problem is I'm time limited and need to have it by the end of the month.

9. Elliejean Apr 4, 2016

Can someone please direct me to the private sales on the forum? Feeling very lucky I checked on here before buying!

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 4, 2016

11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 4, 2016

The end of the April is no problem, as long as you buy something that does not need a service.
    Please bear in mind that vintage means old and things that have aged honestly usually do not brand new. Many first time or gift buyers want a watch that looks like it has just left the showroom. And end up buying something that is shiney looking but not necessarily all original.
    Please continue to post here before you hand over your $. You can even solicit comments on a watch for sale in the forums, sellers here will have no issues with this as they will stand by anything they have for sale.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 4, 2016

@JimInOz you got anything for sale?

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2016

I am in the process of narrowing my interests and therefore my collection and one I'm thinking of releasing is my Seamaster Automatic TV dial 166.020 366.0843 Caliber 1010.

I value it at AUD $650.

Pics are below, PM me if interested.

P1050082.JPG P1050083.JPG P1050084.JPG P1050085.JPG P1050086.JPG

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 4, 2016