Forums Latest Members
  1. achosid Sep 22, 2018

Hello! New member here, please be gentle!

A few years ago I purchased a 1969 Speedmaster Professional. It was a bit of a franken-watch, with the selling noting the dial, hands, crystal, and caseback had been replaced. I was eager to get into a Speedy for a low price, so I went for it. I've been super happy with the watch, but I recently came into an all original 1969 Speedy, so I'm looking to sell my old one.

I've done some research into current pricing, but I have no idea how price would be affected based upon the non-original parts. They're all Omega OEM, but period incorrect. Here is an imgur link to some photos; the first two are current photos and the following ones are from the original listing where I purchased the watch:

https://imgur.com/a/xQGKZCL

And here's the description from the original seller, from when I purchased this watch in 2015:

"This 1969 Omega Speedmaster has been impeccably maintained and is keeping very good time. The dial, hands, and caseback have been updated from the original watch by Omega. There are two scratches on the caseback that can be seen in pictures that are in no way noticeable when wearing the watch. The Hesalite crystal was replaced in September 2014 and is Omega OEM with the Omega logo.

Serial: 27,3XX,XXX
    Case: Excellent sharp case with light wear from use
    Dial: Excellent dial
    Bracelet: 1116 Bracelet with 575 Endlinks, fits 7 3/4 wrist
    Bracelet Stretch: Stretch commensurate with age
    Accessories: Receipt of replacement hesalite crystal. Watch does not come with any boxes or papers."

Can anyone suggest what a fair asking price would be fore this watch?

Thanks so much in advance for the help and expertise.

Edited Sep 22, 2018
  2. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 22, 2018

another open FS thread ....

value ???

the description ::facepalm1::, the sharp case it had back in time it left the factory , even some lollipops have sharper edges ....

keep it as daily beater ....

3. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 22, 2018

So, only original movement and caseband? (I’m assuming they replaced the crown and pushers too.)

You do not really have a vintage watch at all, I’m sorry to say. There’s little of collector value left.

It always makes me sad to see these stripped Speedmasters.

ext1 likes this.
  4. achosid Sep 22, 2018

Sorry if I'm breaking some rules here. The description isn't mine, it was what was on the original posting when I purchased it back in 2014, I thought the terminology from the original seller may be helpful, not trying to sell it here.

That was sort of my assumption, but the reason I purchased it when I did was that at my budget I could either have a watch that was a few years old, or have a watch that was externally new, but at least I knew the guts were vintage, which I found to be more interesting than a new watch. Movement, case, band, and bezel are original.

5. ext1 Sep 22, 2018

Ouch!! So sad to see this one.

I don't think the bezel is original too, btw.

Seems like you bought it at listed for 2.2k, so you already have an idea of the range. For sure the value won't be any higher..

airansun likes this.
  6. MikeMan2727 Sep 22, 2018

This is a perfect watch to list as an eBay auction. Start it at 99 cents with no reserve.

That will be your best bet to get "market value." As is, there is very little collector value here.

7. Dan S Sep 22, 2018

Virtually nothing is left of the original watch. I'm not even sure the caseband is old, since the backs of the lugs don't have bracelet impressions. As mentioned above, I don't imagine you'll get more than $2k for it, and there's not enough there to make it worth restoring.

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 22, 2018

I think at least $2k for sure for watch head only.

Maybe sell bracelet separate.

You can try listing on WUS to see, as I think probably more interest in this type watch on that site.