Forums Latest Members
  1. Nklem Oct 31, 2019

So what it is? How old? I assume it’s gold and who can I trust to restore it? It does work fine and I want to get it ready for my Son as a college graduation gift next May. The crystal is scratched but appears to have a very very very small omega symbol just above center. I do have watch tools to open if needed. Thank you in advance for your help.

BF06A6DD-D2C9-441A-9173-D40F0BBD5E45.jpeg A12799BB-530F-4F72-9E5A-924E1C3EBC3B.jpeg CB02E1B4-3227-4E89-A7D1-81794B6F7F7C.jpeg
  2. Nklem Oct 31, 2019

I will get more “ better” photos tonight.

3. WYO_Watch Oct 31, 2019

I’d say you’re a bit demanding for your first post...

How about a brief introduction - where you’re from - where your uncle’s from. Then maybe you can tell us some of the things you have learned trying to research this watch.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 31, 2019

Edited Oct 31, 2019
  5. WYO_Watch Oct 31, 2019

Your watch looks like a gold filled / gold plated / gold Omega De Ville. You can check the case for a stamp or markings between the lugs. It is a front loader, so unless you have a lot of watch tools I don’t think you touch it.

Dial looks good from the pictures you provided. Crown also looks original and you have already indicated the crystal has an omega logo.

My suggestion would be to use some polywatch on the crystal and buy your son new strap. Does the strap have an omega buckle on it?

Then depending on where you live maybe someone can recommend a place for a service. I would service it locally in lieu of sending it to Omega.

6. Nklem Oct 31, 2019

Sorry for the abruptness in my request as I am at work and wanted to get this out there for help. I have done zero research so far other than snapping the photo and posting it on this great forum. It appears this is the place to get information from the few posts I have read. My 75 year old retired Uncle from central Maine handed it to me two days ago at a car dealership after the closing for helping him get a great deal on a new car. 1/2 Price! He attends many estate auctions and bought it there a few years back. It's been in a baggie. I am from the coast of Maine and am a Mechanical Engineer and Project manager. My son is in a Mechanical Engineering program and graduates in May 2020, so I thought I would restore it and give it to him. He has no idea and he is a watch connoisseur as much as I was when younger. My first automatic was swatch that turned green in weeks in high school. When I graduated from Engineering School, I bought a stainless Hamilton Chronomatic II that's strap broke several years later as well as the crystal. It's just sitting in the box and I will probaby restore it for my younger son who just entered engineering school. For HS graduation I gave my oldest my gold Seiko flight computer from 1993 (still in the box) that I got for College Graduation. I used to drool on it in the Service Merchandise catalog and my Folks bought it for me. I was always afraid I would scratch and break it. He won a Very nice Automatic a few years ago from a website. I forget the brand and has worn it for a long while with zero issues until our recent trip (see below).. It has a miyota movement, PVD gunmetal coating I think and a domed sapphire crystal. On a recent trip to Indonesia we each bought matching Tissot Automatic divers watches (one blue and one orange) as a memoir of our trip. He loves it and wears it all the time now. Mine stays in the dresser as I frequently and around machinery and have had bad luck with crystals and bands (see above). For the past 5 years I simply wear Citizen Eco-drives as they have served me well and I travel a lot changing time zones. Anyway, there is our quick history. Any help is appreciated and I would like to get it prepared for him.

IMG_8667.JPG
    WYO_Watch, chronos and Walrus like this.
  7. Nklem Oct 31, 2019

No the strap is aftermarket. My uncle replaced it, and The one that came with it was made in China.