Forums Latest Members

Help, total novice with no idea in need of assistance!

1. zigekmo Feb 25, 2019

My Father left me his Omega Constellation. The original strap is long gone and I cannot work out what the original strap should've been.

Was it leather, was it a bracelet? If anyone can point me in the right direction if would be greatly appreciated.

There seems to be an unbelievable number of 'fake' straps / bracelets and I have zero knowledge in trying to work our what's what. I would like to find a reasonable condition strap / bracelet for the watch. Not new because the watch is clearly worn and so I would like the strap / bracelet to look in similar condition to the watch condition.

( IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1802.JPG The lugs measure 19mm)

kkt, DaveK, Seaborg and 2 others like this.
  2. trash_gordon Feb 25, 2019

Nice massive Gold Omega. I would suggest a black leather strap.

3. zigekmo Feb 25, 2019

Hadn't thought of black. Do you think that's what it originally came with? I'm in Scotland and would like to have the watch serviced properly, I imagine the Omega main dealer option would be cost prohibitive, does watch servicing work in the same way as cars i.e. independents usually have more knowledge than the main dealers for a fraction of the price??

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2019

Omega will have a nice leather strap with a gold buckle to match the watch.

Give us a look at the end of each side of the bracelet on it please. Also take some photos near a window

You have a solid gold watch with a gold dial also. Find a independent watchmaker with a Omega parts account.

@nonuffinkbloke is in your neck of the woods and may chime in with advice. But for that watch I would recommend where he sent he’s watch

5. trash_gordon Feb 25, 2019

An independent watchmaker should be able to service it for a cheaper price than Omega will do.

6. zigekmo Feb 25, 2019

Thanks Standy, not sure what you mean. The bracelet that's on it was a £40 job from Amazon and is the wrong size, it's 18mm. Do you mean take a photo of the outside of the lug?

7. zigekmo Feb 25, 2019

Also Standy, where do you buy these straps? Amazon, FleaBay seem to just have knock off straps...

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2019

Thought it may be a gold Milanese bracelet they sometimes came with ;)

A new bracelet would cost a bit. As it would be 18k gold like the watch.

I would go a nice black leather Omega strap. They will have a gold buckle that would match
    Or
    Any fine crocodile leather strap

9. zigekmo Feb 25, 2019

I don't mind spending a bit to get the right thing. Mind you, if the watch is only worth 50p there's not much point in spending £500 on a strap!

Spruce and STANDY like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2019

The watch is worth a few thousand as it’s 18k gold with a 18k gold dial.

That’s what the om either side of “Swiss made” at 6 o’clock means.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 25, 2019

This one would have originally come on a black leather Omega strap, but could be "upgraded on purchase" by buying a metal bracelet.

I have an identical Connie (plated, not solid gold) with the original black strap as well as the gold plated "brick" bracelet that the original owner got when he purchased the watch.

Dan S and AveConscientia like this.
  12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 25, 2019

Andre1970, ConElPueblo and Dan S like this.
  13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 25, 2019

I guess relative to the distance between Australia and the UK, Scotland is in the same neck of the woods as Dorset....;)

ConElPueblo, Davidt, Motik and 3 others like this.
  14. zigekmo Feb 25, 2019

Eh?? A few thousand?? Are you kidding me?? I know Dad bought about 30 years ago when he had a few quid but didn't think it was worth anything. That puts a different perspective on things, I definitely want to get the right strap!

What does the 'brick' bracelet look like?

STANDY likes this.
  15. zigekmo Feb 25, 2019

Peemacgee, just reading the article, very interesting.

Peemacgee likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2019

Yours is the one on the bottom of page 5 in the first link @Peemacgee gave you.

Peemacgee likes this.
  17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 25, 2019

Probably £2-3,000 depending on the condition of the case (gold is soft and it loses its edges easily)
    A couple of clear sides shots will help assess it properly.

There are a few watchmakers with good reputations in the UK - most importantly don’t send it to Omega and no polishing of the case.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2019

19. zigekmo Feb 25, 2019

Wow! I did not think for a second that there would be any literature on Dad's watch. I am sitting here quite stunned.

The watch on the bottom of page 5, the strap is an acquired taste! I much prefer the one at the bottom of page 4 but I do want the watch to be as original as possible...I think the page 4 one might be the 'brick' bracelet referred to above...would this have been one of the options?

20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 25, 2019

Dial and bezel are like yours (notice your’s is smooth not knurled) but your’s has the 751 day date movement not just date.