Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo Jun 29, 2015

Dear Gents,

I got this yersterday and I know *nothing* of Longines (which is even less than I know about Omegas). Case is super sharp and the dial doesn't seem to have been messed with, so I decided that, considering the price that was asked, it was worth a shot.

How badly did I do? Can you help me identify this? I'm guessing late 30s to mid-40s?

longines.jpg

2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jun 29, 2015

The dial has been refinished. Note how off-center the markings in the sub-second dial are. The minute track is also very inconsistent.

I've found that Longines watches from the 30-40's quite often are frankens - where case serial numbers and movement numbers don't match the Longines records. If you wish to learn more about your watch, I'd suggest opening up the caseback and sending an inquiry to Longines archives.

3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 29, 2015

Also the "LONGINES" font is incorrect. The letters are too large, too thick, and the serifs are off.

I have found that Longines with these 3 piece cases that have extended lugs and polished, fluted bezels, rarely contain original dials. It likely has a caliber 12.68Z from the mid 1940's.

Edited Jun 29, 2015
    Giff2577 and dantaspaulo like this.
  4. dantaspaulo Jun 29, 2015

Thanks for the info. By now, I should have known better to ask first...

::facepalm2::

5. dantaspaulo Jun 29, 2015

Considering it's redial (which now that you mentioned it seems obvious and I can't stop starring at the off-centre sub-dials), would you say I was too ripped by paying ~ USD120?

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 29, 2015

I shouldn't think so. You can get the dial redone again by a competent shop, or search for an original. The redial looks to be very old, since the lacquer has started to turn brown.

Tom

7. redpcar Jun 29, 2015

What is the size of the case? 120 is a fair wholesale price. Could bring a little more. You didn't get robbed.

8. dantaspaulo Jun 29, 2015

it's fairly small, about 30mm -- which is fine because I don't really have big wrists -- and the case is VERY sharp. I guess I'll have to hunt a decent dial, then.

9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 29, 2015

Might be worth asking if International (for example) can identify the proper set of dies for that dial. A redial is very inexpensive, relatively speaking.

Tom

dantaspaulo likes this.