Forums Latest Members
  1. aspy Jun 26, 2019

Hi everybody! A few years ago I was left a vintage Omega by grandfather. His father gave it to him as a present for graduating in 1950 and it has now made its way down to me. I’d of course never sell it as he meant a great deal to me and this watch reminds me of him daily, but would very much like to know what model it is. Every time I have searched the internet to find the model I come up empty handed.

From the look of it, many members who ask for ID are asked to send a photo of the movement or the inside of the back case but I do not know how to take the cover off and didn’t want to scratch it up.

Unsure if this helps, but just before receiving it, it was serviced by Omega and I vaguely remember hearing something about it being sent to Switzerland due to radium on the dial or something, although I do not remember the specifics.

I have attached some photos here. Thank you kindly for your assistance with this!

96A9D63A-D71F-4F23-88EE-02B3B1DD9F1C.jpeg 8AC2A74D-538D-4AE5-9D7F-33EDB6CE80F8.jpeg
    Etp095, jwvargas and DaveK like this.
  2. Martin_J_N Jun 26, 2019

Sorry, not a clue what you have inherited, just wanted to say what a great looking watch, nice heirloom

aspy, Etp095 and DaveK like this.
  3. Canuck Jun 26, 2019

English made Dennison case, perhaps 9 karat gold? Were your ancestors English, or at least from a Commonwealth country? We’d know best about to origins and other details if you can have someone open it, and post a picture of the embossed characters inside the case back.

aspy and Dan S like this.
  4. Dan S Jun 26, 2019

Awesome engraving. As @Canuck noted, photos of the inside and the movement will be needed.

aspy likes this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 26, 2019

My 0.02, you could take it to a watchmaker (not a mall kiosk) and ask them to open it so you can take some photos and write down the details of the movement and serial number and what is written on the case back. The watchmaker will want a relationship with you, because you will need to bring the watch back in 5 years or so for another service. Hang around here longer, and you will start buying more watches that will also need a service or some random parts! If the strap (which may be original?) starts to be insecure, be sure to have the watchmaker swap that Omega buckle onto a new strap (if buying a non-Omega strap). Great looking watch and nice to have those memories :thumbsup:

davten and aspy like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Jun 26, 2019

Lovely piece! Does anyone even do engraving like that anymore? Love the fonts and the mix of block and florid script.

aspy and DaveK like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Jun 26, 2019

And yeah, that strap has had it, I wouldn’t wear it for fear it could snap. As Dave said, get it to a watchmaker to open it up. If you try to change he strap yourself, make sure you have the proper tool and not a screwdriver- gold cases are very delicate. There are many options for high quality straps to your taste- doesn’t have to be from Omega, although I love the pattern of the one that’s on it. Anyone know of modern straps with that pattern?

aspy and Etp095 like this.
  8. aspy Jun 27, 2019

Thanks Martin_J_N! I love it too!

They were English, living in Liverpool at the time I believe.

Opening it up seems to be the consensus. I might see if my local Omega can open it up for me or at least identify it on the spot. Last time I was there the person who served me said he’d never seen anything like it. And yeah, I can already feel myself getting the itch to start find my next Omega. They all just have such a nice styling to them.

Thanks for the advice about the strap, I still wear it every day but the crack has been a bit of a concern. I might see if I can get the same strap for it when I take it in. Otherwise, would you have any recommendations for straps?

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 27, 2019

As mentioned above it looks very like a Dennison 13322 9k gold cased 26X movement model (based on the age at a guess 260). Judging by the caseback date the serial number will likely be circa 11.5-12m. As you suggest, I do think the dial may have had some work at some point, perhaps the original Radium was replaced, or a new dial fitted. It’s attractive but has lost some originality as a result.

Edited Jun 27, 2019
  10. aspy Jun 27, 2019

Thanks for the reply Padders! I just found the “military style” watches on google after searching for the other details you’ve posted here and the dial looks quite a lot like some of those with numerals on each hour mark. Do you know if is possible that this may be a military style dial thus explaining its apparent difference to other 13322 watches?

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 27, 2019

No there’s no real military connection with these. The mil watches may bear a passing resemblance but those used water resistant steel cases. A lot of 1940s watches had full Arab numerals like this. I’ve owned a couple of 13322s myself. Will try to find you a pic.

Edited Jun 27, 2019
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 27, 2019

@aspy

Just out of curiosity when you expose the watch to light do the hands and numbers glow for awhile?

13. aspy Jun 27, 2019

Thanks again Padders, I guess there’s a lot more to know about these than can possibly be gleaned in a single afternoon on Google! I appreciate your input.

Hi Foo2Rama, both the hands and the numbers glow when exposed to light.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 27, 2019

One of my 13322s, now departed. Original Radium lume indices.

[​IMG]

DaveK likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 27, 2019

Omega did a nice luminova relume job and removed the radium on the dial. They also replaced the hands with new luminova hands.

Edited Jun 27, 2019
  16. aspy Jun 27, 2019

Very nice! I do really like this case style. If only it came with a date window too. I always seem to be forgetting the date.

Thanks for the information Foo2rama! Great to know.

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 27, 2019

You raise an interesting point there that hadn’t occurred to me before. I can’t think of a single vintage Omega with both sub second dial and date feature. Certainly the 1950s 26X and 49X movements didn’t offer that combination. Can anyone suggest a piece with sub dial and date? Maybe the sub second drive precluded the fitting of a date wheel.

18. ConElPueblo Jun 27, 2019

[​IMG]

:p

Skrv, DaveK, Foo2rama and 4 others like this.
  19. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 27, 2019

Yes I suppose the Speedymoon also counts from one POV!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  20. aspy Jun 27, 2019

@Canuck @Dan S @DaveK @JwRosenthal @padders

Hi guys! Just wanted to shoot through a follow up. Have visited my local Omega and ordered a replacement strap and also had them open up the case for some shots of the movement and serial:

C526E077-1B19-40BD-86E5-234EF571E89E.jpeg AFE9E9A2-7DA3-4EE4-B86C-1FEBE9F96175.jpeg
    felsby and padders like this.