Forums Latest Members

Help! The non-removable link on SM300 MC fell apart! AD wants 1k to replace it.

1. Keto-Aurelius Apr 26, 2022

Okay here goes. So I dropped my (at the time) 1.5 year old Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial (233.30.41.21.01.001) from waist hight and the non removable link just fell apart. When I brought it to the AD they said the Omega warranty only covers the movement/case, and that a new one would be roughly $1,000. Now I have a few questions. First of all, how are those pins and bracelet segments held together in the first place? Are the pins spot welded on the outside and then sanded and polished until it's smooth? If that's the case then I believe my bracelet was defective from the factory because as you can see (circled) in the pictures, the pin was never flush with the side of the bracelet segment, it was always loose in there, just a hair under the surface. Further, if this is how it is assembled would this be a simple fix for a watchmaker/jeweler? I'm a little concerned to take it to a mom and pop shop and have them do some sort of flimsy soldering shenanigan done only to have my watch fly off while Kayaking 6 months later. I really want to fix/replace it and hopefully never worry about this again. It's been on the bond nato ever since because I haven't had time to get to the bottom of this.
    So do I
    1) pay roughly $1,000 at the AD for a replacement + separate watchmaker to polish the case to match the new bracelet

2) Find a good watchmaker (I'm in South Florida if anyone has recommendations) and have them repair it

3) try to get Omega to replace it (if it was indeed defective).

Pics

https://imgur.com/a/LTplUx5

Thank you!

just an fyi, the top broken link is not removable, those screw caps that are visible just hold the pin that retains the link above it (the one that attaches to the watch) in.

2. texasmade Apr 26, 2022

There's no way the bracelet costs $1000 to fix. Most new bracelets are $680 (unless Omega raised the price since November 2021).

3. redpcar Apr 26, 2022

upload_2022-4-26_21-35-39.png

:coffee:

4. sleepyastronaut Apr 26, 2022

4) Loctite 222ms "Purple"

Screenshot_20220426-233754.png

Dan S likes this.
  5. Caliber561 Apr 26, 2022

Pretty sure the AD is taking you for a ride. Most Omega bracelets (full bracelets) cost around $650 tops, and the warranty does include the whole watch, not just the movement and case. I've had an OB help me out with warranty repair for a Trilogy 1957 bracelet, with no cost whatsoever.

connieseamaster and meglos like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 26, 2022

Om3ga321 likes this.
  7. Donn Chambers Apr 27, 2022

Pretty sure the dealer is selling a new replacement bracelet, not fixing the old one. From what I recall when I was checking prices a few years ago, that bracelet (with the polished center links) is priced at close to $900. So with tax, it’s pushing $1000. If you do want to replace the bracelet instead of trying to fix, get the all-brushed bracelet that came on the Spectre model — it’s about $250 cheaper. Exactly the same but all-brushed and with a different clasp. If you don’t like the “007” branding on the clasp, just replace it with the one on your current clasp.

And there’s absolutely no reason why you need to have your watch case polished to “match” the new bracelet. Just leave it as is.

Yehoshua and Archer like this.
  8. Donn Chambers Apr 27, 2022

But the warranty won’t cover damage caused by a fall or knock. Not saying Omega won’t possibly cover this, but don’t expect it. Any large impact can break a bracelet, if the impact is in the right place. The OP is more likely to get it covered if there’s no evidence of the impact (like a big gouge on the link).

Archer likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2022

You don't want thread locking compound, for this you want a retaining compound...

o.m.e.g.a likes this.
  10. redpcar Apr 27, 2022

Like..........super glue? :whistling:

rob#1 likes this.
  11. Bugbait Apr 27, 2022

Should be able to get the bracelet fixed. Worse case it should be covered under a full service but that could be excessive. When my clasp spring broke on my X-33 I put it in for a full service since it had been over 5 years anyway. They screwed up the spring replacement and ended up giving me a new clasps for no extra charge under service warranty.

12. o.m.e.g.a Apr 27, 2022

@Keto-Aurelius
    Regarding warranty, did you tell AD that you dropped the watch?

Recently I asked omega by email about warranty for bracelet. Here is their response from March 17, 2022:

The international warranty covers material and manufacturing defects existing at the time of purchase of your OMEGA watch. This also applies to your steel bracelet. If you face any issue with your timepiece during the warranty period, you can trust that we will provide you with the customer care you deserve.
    Only the normal wear and tear and ageing of non-metallic straps such as leather, textile or rubber are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

HTH.

13. meglos Apr 27, 2022

I would certainly check in with another AD. Sounds like the original AD was trying to make some quick cash instead of taking care of you.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2022

Curious how you come to this conclusion. The damage was caused by the watch owner dropping the watch. The only way Omega is going to fix this is to replace the entire bracelet, and this one is certainly no $600-ish bracelet...

Scarecrow Boat and Donn Chambers like this.
  15. meglos Apr 27, 2022

I am operating under the assumption that the original poster is being 100% truthful about the accident and what the AD said.

-First, I don't think that the drop the original poster described should have caused this much damage. It's not like he intentionally hit it with a hammer. It was a very small accident.

-Second, they misrepresented the warranty by saying it only covered the watch and not the bracelet.

-Third, the AD should have at least tried to get it covered under the warranty instead of automatically asking him for $1,000. If Omega had said "no" then they could have to asked him for $1,000 for a new bracelet. Why didn't the AD even try to get it covered under warranty? Because they wouldn't make any money on a warranty claim but would make something off of the $1,000 sale of a completely new bracelet.

The AD should be on the customer's side and let Omega decide if the damage was covered under warranty or not.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2022

First - the watch was dropped - sorry but if something happens when you drop the watch, all the shoulda, coulda, woulda's go out the window.

Second - this is the only valid point you have, IMO. However, if the owner admitted to the drop, it still wouldn't be covered, so this is really a moot point. But yes, the AD either misspoke or should know the rules.

Third - this isn't how warranties work. Depending on the specifics of distribution, it will be the distributor who covers the cost of the warranty repair, not Omega directly. The costs associated with processing the warranty repair fall on the AD - labour to prepare the item for shipment, costs of shipping, time dealing with customers.

Sometimes you just have to man up and eat the costs associated with your actions...the AD isn't at fault here, the person that dropped the watch is.

Davidt, Scarecrow Boat and YY77 like this.
  17. meglos Apr 27, 2022

Second - this is the only valid point you have, IMO. However, if the owner admitted to the drop, it still wouldn't be covered, so this is really a moot point. But yes, the AD either misspoke or should know the rules.

Third - this isn't how warranties work. Depending on the specifics of distribution, it will be the distributor who covers the cost of the warranty repair, not Omega directly. The costs associated with processing the warranty repair fall on the AD - labour to prepare the item for shipment, costs of shipping, time dealing with customers.

Sometimes you just have to man up and eat the costs associated with your actions...the AD isn't at fault here, the person that dropped the watch is.[/QUOTE]

I understand everything you state but don't agree. I ran a service department, not for luxury watches but for high-end audio gear.

I sent things in for service with a full and honest explanation in similar circumstances and then let the manufacture decide if it was a warranty repair or if it was a repair that the customer needed to pay for. 9 times out of 10 the manufacture covered it as long as the customer didn't do something on purpose, completely stupid, or reckless.

Do you deny that a small drop could have revealed a defect in workmanship that was there but invisible? Would this have been covered under warranty if he didn't drop it? You know the answer is yes to that second question. So the poster is being penalized by being honest about a small accident.

The AD should have told the customer "We'll try to get it covered under warranty but no promises" and send it in for Omega to make the decision because it's Omega's warranty NOT a warranty offered by the AD. The AD should represent the customer's interest.

Edited Apr 27, 2022
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2022

My waist is about 104 cm off the floor (around 41 inches if you are metrically challenged). If you drop a watch from this height, you cannot expect that there won't be damage. If there isn't any, consider yourself very lucky.

Warranties are for defects in materials and workmanship, not for accidental damage. What you are describing in your situation isn't really a warranty repair - it would be a courtesy repair. Same result for the customer, but an entirely different thing.

Having said that, I've just checked the Omega Extranet to see if there are any specific issues related to this particular bracelet, and there are - with the fixed link pins, so the OP should contact Omega directly to get it resolved.

19. Dan S Apr 27, 2022

Great info there. ::book::

Yehoshua and 140dave like this.
  20. perks713 Apr 27, 2022

Hahah, I very much appreciate the conversion :)

o.m.e.g.a and Archer like this.