Forums Latest Members
  1. Jevdnbus Jun 12, 2018

Hello, I am new to vintage watches. Currently, looking for a vintage omega ('50-'65).

Now, I found one that looks very nice but I'm not sure if it's authentic or not (cf. pictures). I tried comparing the images the owners sent me and it seemed overall legit, but there is something wrong with it. Especially, the markers do not seem original to me (band neither but that's ok). I don't really know, so I would like to ask for opinions from you all.
    What would be a decent price for this watch?

Thank you in advance!

back.PNG Case.PNG Front.PNG Movement.PNG Omega Seamaster 165.001.PNG Omega Seamaster crown view.PNG
  2. Dan S Jun 12, 2018

I don't think it's fake. What are your concerns exactly? The seconds hand seems too short maybe, the lugs have been polished a bit, and there is damage to the dial. For me personally, the damage to the dial is too much.

3. Edward53 Jun 12, 2018

It is definitely not a fake. The markers are unusual but that doesn't make them wrong. The second hand is short as mentioned above, either replaced or maybe the end snapped off. The minute hand might appear too long for the minute markers but it is exactly the right length for the small minute markers at the hours and I think those hands are original to the watch, just my opinion and someone who knows this particular dial may know better! Movement, case and crown are all correct.

Since we have no way of knowing what country or even what continent you are on, it's a bit difficult to estimate the price but here in the UK I don't think that would go over £300. The dial damage is not an absolute killer but would put off a lot of people.

4. Jevdnbus Jun 12, 2018

Thank you for the info. My concers are the markers and submarkers. This model (165.001) typically has a relief in the 12h marker (cf. photo), smaller submarkers and no lines at the end of the markers of the watch. The unusual longer submarkers of this watch could explain the reason why the minute hand appears too long. I believe I should have used redail instead of fake, sorry for that.

Good to know, thanks!

Alternative.PNG
  5. Jevdnbus Jun 12, 2018

Wrong pic, see below for the correct one.

Alternative 165.PNG