Forums Latest Members

Help/opinion: Omega automatic Seamaster Calendar 2627

1. Mauzer Dec 11, 2019

Hi all,

Since a while I've been reading this forum and appriate all the helpful thoughts, tips and tricks here ( like https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/ really helped me a lot).

A private dutch seller is selling his Omega automatic Seamaster Calendar 2627 through an dutch version of eBay. the price is half of what I expected. Though most of the time: If it's too good to be true: It probably is, I'm doubting whether I should take a chance on this one.

Therefor, I would really appreciate your opinions and some help!

Here are the pictures:

$_86-2.JPG $_86.JPG $_86-8.JPG $_86-7.JPG $_86-6.JPG $_86-5.JPG $_86-4.JPG $_86-3.JPG

Off course I've done some homework myself. Serial number 13mil dates from 1952, I think it is a ref. 2627 with cal. 353.

I found some examples of Seamaster 2627, and two with waffle (or honeycomb(?)) dial here on this forum:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-calendar-2627-dial.14300/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/incoming-ref-2627-seamaster-calendar-waffle-dial-14k-gold-case.6298/

Quite obvious is the state of the dial: worn down, but looks original to me, except I'm not sure about the Omega logo itself. It looks a bit thicker than other models, however, I see different logos with this reference.

Besides that, the "seventeen 17" inscription is really hard to see on the movement. With some imagination I can see something where it is supposed to be, maybe this is due to bad lighting conditions. Besides, it looks like the movement could use a service.

I will ask the seller for more photos and additional information and posts them here when available.

What do you guys think? Are there any red flags? Does the dial/case/movement look original?
    Thank you for the help!

Rochete likes this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 11, 2019

I don’t know enough to say whether or not every bit of this lovely watch is original but, as I’ve already said, it looks lovely and I would very happily wear it.

Additionally, it’s solid gold and the case and dial appear to be in excellent condition for a 67 year old watch. As you’ll also have noticed, the movement also looks good and in good condition.

You say that the price is good but not if it’s running well and/or needs a service, which it probably does. If that’s what you’re looking for and you can afford it, my instinct would be to go for it.

This is my 1954 354 gold capped model for comparison purposes. I really enjoy wearing it.

A600FB04-9E81-4EE8-A38E-3D0712E64B90.jpeg

Rochete and Mauzer like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2019

Case is a bit polished and the movement kind of tired, dial acceptable if you like the patina.

All comes down to price.

OMEGuy and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 11, 2019

The crown is a later replacement but dome crowns are available on eBay. Sure, it's not perfect. As said, price. If it's truly half of what is usual, then maybe?

Tom

5. omegastar Dec 12, 2019

+1 Half of what you expected maybe twice what I expected....

6. Mauzer Dec 12, 2019

Thank you, as you said: all comes down to price. However, this looks too good to be true...

7. Mauzer Dec 12, 2019

Ah, thanks! Telling whether the crown is original or not, is still tricky for me. Mostly due to different crowns shown on same ref. models.

8. cristos71 Dec 12, 2019

Mauzer likes this.
  9. Mauzer Dec 12, 2019

Thank you for the fair warning.

I just received an email can MP, noting that they have the suspicion of fraudulent trading...

Besides that, there’s an ad from London, GB, with the same pictures ( https://www.allvintagewatches.com/vintage-watches/omega-seamaster-14ct-gold-1952/ ).

Looks like this was the case of “too good to be true”.

It was a great lesson, thank you forum members for the tips and tricks! Appreciate it.

Besides the pictures, there two lessons for me:
    - Use Google image search to search whether the images or from another site
    - Contact the seller, if it’s not possible to pick up the watch, or other signs, be careful.

10. Mauzer Dec 13, 2019

Update: The ad is removed.

Luckely I didn't fell for this fraud. I learned valuable lessons, not only about "buy the seller" or "google image search" but also about the pictures and the actual watch which was used for this ad!

Next time better!

VetPsychWars likes this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 14, 2019

Btw the crown looked ok to me. This model came with the cloverleaf and dome AFAIK

12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 14, 2019

Yes, dome early, then slotted later. Slotted frequently used for replacement. I think it’s early enough to need a dome, which you can get on eBay (I bought one there).

Tom