Forums Latest Members
  1. Wikinger Oct 14, 2019

Hiya.

Being this my first post ever I would like to begin thanking you all for letting me be a part of your community. It has been 3 years since I fall in love for watches (acquiring a few down the road) but at this point I kinda need your (omega experts) help.

Long story short, I came across a deal that I can't properly assess... After acquiring a few watches from a watch dealer I "earned the right" to pick one from its private collection (you won't see this one online, for sure). After an intense debate this Omega ref KOT 741 As was my pick (really, really like this one). Before closing the deal, and since I could not find too much information about this 28.9 CHRO online, I would like to make you, guys, a few questions:

1. Does everything look as it should? (case, dial, hands, etc)
    2. My collection focuses on rare watches. Do you have any idea how rare this one is?
    3. Is it related to Italo Balbo Rome/New York raid? (or were it only the steel ones)
    4. (this one is important) Does any one has any insight of how much it's worth? (has it made part of any recent auctions?)

image7.jpeg image3.jpeg image6.jpeg image1.jpeg image4.jpeg image2.jpeg image9.jpeg image5.jpeg

Thank you all in advance for your cooperation and comments. I am not used to post on forums so I hope I am not breaking any "protocol"

chronoboy64, Walrus and OMTOM like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2019

1. Does everything look as it should? (case, dial, hands, etc)
    In my opinion it all looks correct, however the shape of the chrono bridge, balance cock and other parts don't look to me like a 28.9 CHRO, maybe another Lemania caliber?

Calling @OMTOM for some expert guidance.

2. My collection focuses on rare watches. Do you have any idea how rare this one is?

Probably "rareish", search for Omega 28.9 CHRO on the internet and see how many you find.

3. Is it related to Italo Balbo Rome/New York raid? (or were it only the steel ones).
    The Balbo watches were stainless steel with a very plain chrono dials, your dial is more like the "Amelia Earhart" chrono where speeds up to 300 kph could be calculated based on one of the three coloured tracks, depending on where the small hand at 3 was pointing (3 small blue/red/green sections).
    As the watch was delivered before Balbo made the Rome/Chicago/Rome expedition, it may have been a tribute watch to celebrate his earlier accomplishments (just me guessing) as the style matches the "Balbo" design.

4. (this one is important) Does any one has any insight of how much it's worth? (has it made part of any recent auctions?)

It's worth as much as you can afford and are prepared to pay is all I can say.

chronoboy64, Vitezi, watch72 and 4 others like this.
  3. wagudc Oct 14, 2019

Cool watch! I love hearing what the pros have to say about it. ::popcorn::

DaveK and Wikinger like this.
  4. MikeSunWest Oct 15, 2019

I love those lugs!

Wikinger likes this.
  5. OMTOM Oct 15, 2019

Thank you Jim for linking me in. Yes, I think I can offer something – but not everything!

The history of this exciting time in Omega’s history is (to me) not very clear: there was a lot going on. Lemania joined SIHH in 1932 – and the introduction of the 28.9 CHRO and the 53.7 split-second Olympic dated 1932, the 33.3 CHRO one year later in 1933. We can be sure of the Olympic’s date – because it was introduced for the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics (although AJTT tells us that the MG1134 Olympic was 1930). Maybe Lemania were working with Omega on these before they joined SIHH?

The earliest 28.9 CHRO that is usually found (and discussed) is the T1 – there is little to be found about the original version. I think the OP’s watch is the original 28.9 CHRO. Jim is correct in saying that there are differences from the ‘usual’ 28.9 CHRO – I think for this reason. But I DO think it is an all-original version (a possible query about the hand on the elapsed minutes sub-dial at 9 o'clock). Both this ‘original’ movement and the T1 were single-push and had an independent button – later transformations were two-push but the movements are recognizable, just more involved. This ‘original’ movement appears to be quite different.

The question then comes as to the origins of this first 28.9 CHRO movement. It doesn’t look like Lemania. I wonder whether Tissot were involved (who were also working with Omega at that time). Sadly my researches on this have so far come to nothing.

I show an image that compares the OP’s movement with my (1935) T1 (to show the differences). I also show another ‘original’ 28.9 CHRO which has very similar numbers and must have been in the same batch as the OP’s (apologies, I have partly blanked the number because it is not my watch – but it is of interest to compare). This watch was also sent to Italy.
    Although the Balbo watch was steel, because it was so early it is quite possible that the movement was the same as the OP’s. The Earhart watch was a T1 (although with a dial similar to the OP’s, as Jim points out).

Following numbers of these watches is difficult – not least because movement numbers were issued in batches and some Omegas were still made in Geneva, so they are not always in sequence. When production of the 28.9 and 33.3 really got going (after about 1933), the typical case/movement numbers were 884****/937**** – but these numbers (860****/743****) tally with other watches of this period.

To answer the specific questions:
    1. Yes
    2. As Jim says, ‘rarish’ – you will be pushed to find other examples
    3. Related yes, possibly the same movement
    4. Again I agree with Jim. A dealer might try $10,000 – but he’d have to wait! The 33.3 is definitely more in demand but this one is at the very beginning of Omega’s purpose-built wrist chronos
    28.9 answer a.png

28.9 answer b.png

28.9 answer c.png

cristos71, DaveK, X350 XJR and 14 others like this.
  6. Wikinger Oct 15, 2019

Thank you so much guys for your posts. You really are "walking encyclopaedias"... :thumbsup:

You are also right about the movement. The dealer to whom I will buy the watch (made my decision thanks to you) did even call this movement a 28.9 prototype (an overstatement for sure) and pointed out the differences on bridge design when comparing it with a "normal" T1.

He is asking a bit more than the 10k dollars (that I am willing to pay). Indeed these watches don't seem to pop out very frequently...

FYI Mr Marco Richon called this movement (in an email exchange with this particular dealer) in 2008: "un calibre 28.9 CHRO T1 de configuration inédite". These were his exact words...

Thank you again :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DaveK and OMTOM like this.
  7. Walrus Oct 15, 2019

I can give 0 info to you other than saying that is a beautiful watch. Never seen an omega like that prior. If your collection consists of rare finds I’d be very interested to see what else you have up your sleeve

Wikinger, DaveK, JwRosenthal and 2 others like this.
  8. chronoboy64 Oct 15, 2019

Beautiful watch and great thread. I would buy it if I were the OP :thumbsup:

Wikinger likes this.
  9. OMTOM Oct 15, 2019

Your note is interesting – but also confusing. As I wrote earlier, this part of Omega’s history is not clear to me.

‘T1’ is the first transformation – from the original movement. The 28.9 CHRO T1 is to be found easily – but what is the original which led to the transformation? As I wrote, I think the OP’s watch is the original. To support that, the Extract from the Archives does NOT show it as a T1 – I think this was the first 28.9 CHRO.

So it is surprising to see Marco Richon describe it as a 28.9 CHRO T1. Sadly Marco died 2 years ago so we will never know. With no disrespect, I feel this is an error: the OP movement is (in my opinion) not a T1, I think it must be the original movement, probably as in the Balbo (and that would need confirmation from Omega).

JimInOz likes this.
  10. Wikinger Oct 16, 2019

Now that I see how much knowledge is gathered here I will soon open another thread with some other of my watches to “test” them to the eyes of the pros

Anyhow, thank you for the compliment. I’m a newbie and that felt great

11. Wikinger Oct 16, 2019

It’s a done deal

chronoboy64 likes this.
  12. Wikinger Oct 16, 2019

I agree 100% with you. To show you my level of commitment to this sudject I booked a flight to Zurich next week to go to omega’s museum! I’m not even kidding! (I live in France so it’s no too far for me and it’s been a while since I wanted to go there). Not sure if I will be able to find someone to enlighten me, though... fingers crossed