Forums Latest Members
  1. neilmd Nov 27, 2017

My wife got this for me and I am trying to figure out what it is. I read thought some of the threads and still have no clue. The back is worn, I think the model is 12253, the serial number is one million and the next two numbers are worn, next to one I can not read at all the third number seems to be eight or nine. I do not know how to get the back off. The second hand runs when wound. I do not know how the watch works so not sure what the pushers do so I have not pushed them. The three buttons on the opposite, what do they do? Also, reading some threads is this real?

Thanks.
    Neil

20171127_111355.jpg
  2. neilmd Nov 27, 2017

More pictures

3. neilmd Nov 27, 2017

ok dont know how to add more photos

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 27, 2017

The pushers should be for the chrono function. One should start/ stop, and the other should reset it. I believe the buttons on the left are for resetting day, month, date.

I would not be afraid of pushing any of the pushers/ buttons, as you need to see how the watch works and also make sure the pushers and buttons appear to be working.

5. neilmd Nov 27, 2017

Ok pushers worked. The top button changed the month, the second one down moved the moon disk, but not the day and the last button moved the day. so it all seemed to work correct?

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 27, 2017

It's a Tri-Compax, dial has been redone. Don't push any of the date, moophase or month correctors when the watch is between 10 and 2 o'clock as it may jam the rotors. Otherwise, they appear to work correctly. Day of the week needs to be advanced by turning the hands.

7. neilmd Nov 27, 2017

Anyone recommend someone in Maryland to do a service on it?

8. neilmd Nov 27, 2017

When you say redone, is it a dial that was refinished or just a dial that did not come with it? What is right and what is wrong with it overall? It came with a crappy band, what would this have come with?

Thanks,
    Neil

9. TexOmega Nov 27, 2017

To expound on LouS post.........Dial was repainted at some point, but an original dial.

Great moondisc(faded but original), hands and applied markers, case seems good and not terribly overpolished for a 60-65 year old example.

Service and enjoy. Not just any watchmaker has the skills for these vintage Tri Compax watches, but you are ahead of the game with all functions appearing to work.

Now, don't wind it till you get it serviced.

Kiss your wife.

Edited Nov 27, 2017
    LouS likes this.
  10. neilmd Nov 27, 2017

Thanks for all the great information. Who would people recommend to do the service, I am in Maryland, but have shipped watches before (I am a Rolex guy but wife knows I like the "moon watches")... Seem like she made a good choice.

Neil

Larry S, isnardi and rolokr like this.
  11. TexOmega Nov 27, 2017

My guy is in Texas, PM if you want contact info, he did mine.

I happen to be wearing mine today.

E4927352-0940-4A73-8CD0-0B6175666309.jpeg

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 10, 2017

Mine says Hi. As discussed , yours is refinished but done with some craft and that moon face! Hands / case look ok with exception of the date sub dial but the watchmaker could give that a snip. Mine says hi. RGM in Lancaster PA is a tad expensive but they could do the work. As with Tex if you come up dry locally PM and I can give you my Chicago Suburbs shop info. I’m a bit heasitant since they are drowning in work right now and I have two in process. I’d budget 400 to a grand on service depending on what it needs. You need to find a shop that does vintage restoration and has references. While my guy says these are “nothing special” you can’t hand these to just anyone.

Top left does the month. Middle Left does the moon. Lower left does the date of the month. You set the day with the crown. Upper right starts and stops the chrono. Lower right resets the chrono.
    E6765944-72C9-4F52-9715-342206F1918D.jpeg

Edited Dec 10, 2017
    10H10 likes this.
  13. 10H10 Dec 11, 2017

You've got a wife with taste ! :thumbsup: