Forums Latest Members
  1. OLDGITST Sep 5, 2017

Hi all,
    brilliant forum.

I am looking at a seamaster 300 (2264-5) quartz and was wondering (please be gentle as I am a noob) there are two I'm interested in, one is a 2001 the other a 2007 - both the same price/condition all paperwork etc etc, should I pick the newer one over the older one or vice versa or does it have little relevance.

Sorry if its a rearly basic question and any help appreictaed.

cheers
    og.

2. Speedmasterfan88 Sep 5, 2017

Hi and welcome!

As far as I know, there where no notable differences in this timeframe (someone correct me if i'm wrong). I would pick the later one thou, for no particular reason except it has 6 years less on its back.

If I may ask, I did a quick search for the ref on Chrono and there are two 2264.50 matching your criteria: 01,07, same condition, same price etc. as you stated you'r new to the watch game I just assumed that's where you looked first.

For the price the seller is asking (2155€) you can find the 300 seamaster 2254. ref with the automatic caliber. I would advise you to hold on a bit longer and search for the 2254 reference. You will not regret it in the long run.

Take a look at watchrecon.com and the sales corner of this forum, be patient and do some more research so you can buy with confidence when one comes up.

Cheers,

Max

As a little teaser, here is a pic of mine, happy hunting!

IMG_2027.JPG

OLDGITST likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 5, 2017

Unless there is proof of a full service (which often means a movement swap on a quartz Omega) I would pick the newest since the quartz movements can and do wear like the mech ones and the newer will logically be in better shape, all things being equal. If the older had some form of recent service history I would favour that. Otherwise the only difference would likely be the box design and the presence or otherwise of the anti counterfeit engraving on the back.

EDIT: that price quoted above is nearly double what I would give for a 2264 unless it was NOS with a warranty and even then it sounds about €500 overpriced to me. Some ebay and chrono24 sellers try to get 2254 (auto) money for 2264s. There is in fact about a €500-600 difference between them in my experience.

Edited Sep 5, 2017
    OLDGITST and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  4. OLDGITST Sep 5, 2017

Thanks for your replies fellas, kind of what I was thinking too.
    i will do some more research too i thinks !
    cheers
    og

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.