Help on Potential Vintage Omega Watch Purchase

Hi All,

I'm looking at potentially buying a vintage omega watch I found online. However, I have a few concerns. I'm just starting to get into vintage watches so my knowledge on the subject is limited. I was hoping the community could take a look at the pictures of the watch and give me some information on what to look for or raise any red flags. The seller is currently asking $675 USD + shipping.

The watch I'm currently looking at is a Vintage Gold Capped Omega watch from 1950. It is a manual wind watch and the reference number is 2496-3. The watch does not come with a box or any papers, however it does look real from the photos and the seller reputation. However, if anyone thinks otherwise, please bring this to my attention.

My main concern with the watch is the wear and tear on the sides of the watch. I'm not sure if that is just aging or if it is severely dinged up. I've asked the seller for clarity, but I'm also not familiar with how vintage omega gold capped watches age.

Please let me know what you all think. I have posted a link to some photos of the watch below. Thanks in advance for all the help!

https://imgur.com/a/fAwjzrv

(I also attached the pictures in this thread)

In addition to the rough case, I suspect that the dial is repainted. And the case is gold-plated, not gold-capped. Big difference. That watch would be a definite pass for me. Good for you, asking before buying.

@Dan S Thank you for the information! How can you tell the dial is repainted? I'm new to looking into Omega vintage watches so any information would be appreciated. Yeah, I agree. I really like this style of watch, but the condition of the back raised a flag for me, and it didn't match with the condition of the front.

I will keep looking for an Omega vintage watch in this style. Do you have any recommendations on sites or things I should be looking out for? Thanks for all the help!

You might start with the private sales section on this site.

About $400 too much for that one.

Hang out here for a couple months.

Lots of great people to steer you along.

@X350 XJR thanks, I thought it was overpriced, but yeah by 400 that's a lot lol! I took Dan's advice and checked out the private sales section; definitely very tempting! I will keep an eye out and look on the forums to learn more about vintage Omega watches. I didn't want to impulse buy something that had a lot of issues and I didn't have faith in what I was buying. I'm glad I found the forum! Thanks for the help everyone!