Help on identifying possible re-dials and refurbished components on vintage seamasters.

Hello! I am brand new to the vintage watch community and I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before making a purchase. While browsing eBay and chrono 24 I find myself questioning many pieces as I am looking to purchase 100% original seamasters from the 60s decade. I figured I would make this thread for individuals in my similar position to post pictures and ask questions that more experienced enthusiasts could help answer!

I came across this seamaster on eBay (ref. 14701 1 sc) and am having some speculation about the 12,6, and 9 hour markers. When I look up the reference # none of them have the elongated markers so I’m thinking they have been replaced? From what little knowledge I have everything else looks original but I could be wrong. Any advice helps. Thanks in advance.

I appreciate the feedback and information. Not trying to discredit anyone’s advice I just figured I’d post it on this thread as well and see if other people had any opinions.

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t implying you were unappreciative. There’s just a difference between an opinion and a fact sometimes. You asked if the dial was a legitimate variant and got a reply. I just meant to let you know that after that, there’s likely not much discussion needed. Personally, even if I had been of a contrary opinion, having read @mac_omega s post I would’ve known I had been wrong. 😀

Of course, you can also ask folks here about an opinion! Is the dial patinated or rather damaged? Do you think it’d be a bad thing if the plexi wasn’t original as I can’t spot the etched Omega logo in its middle? Should butter really be eaten raw as a spread? (Borderline; no; hell no! - but that’s just my opinion )

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t implying you were unappreciative. There’s just a difference between an opinion and a fact sometimes. You asked if the dial was a legitimate variant and got a reply. I just meant to let you know that after that, there’s likely not much discussion needed. Personally, even if I had been of a contrary opinion, having read @mac_omega s post I would’ve known I had been wrong. 😀

Of course, you can also ask folks here about an opinion! Is the dial patinated or rather damaged? Do you think it’d be a bad thing if the plexi wasn’t original as I can’t spot the etched Omega logo in its middle? Should butter really be eaten raw as a spread? (Borderline; no; hell no! - but that’s just my opinion )
Yeah man all good! I just didn’t want it to seem like I was brushing over advise that was given to me because I didn’t think it was valuable! Like I said I’m newly into vintage watches and frankly don’t really know what to look for scrolling through listings so I’m trying to soak up as much information as possible. You mentioned the etched logo in the middle of the plexi? What should I look out for when it comes to that? I had no idea that was a thing.

You mentioned the etched logo in the middle of the plexi? What should I look out for when it comes to that?

Omega plexis have a tiny (like 1mm in diameter) etched in the middle of the plexi. Hardly noticeable with the bear eye. I was merely mentioning this as an example for an opinion (vs. straight information) as you were looking for “100% originality”. Personally, a generic replacement crystal could never put me off a nice watch. They get scruffy over the decades and were regularly replaced at services. Sometimes, people are a bit cheap (or Omega didn’t offer the plexi anymore) and a watchmaker would simply use a generic one. It’s very common.

Not the best pictures, but have a look if you can spot it:

EE3E662F-F106-4DAB-A443-0E82D3B3FC69.jpeg 62730038-B5E4-4F20-8619-494F081793A5.jpeg
4AF69C70-1627-4707-99A7-B229F52EF18B.jpeg
160CB2DE-A7C7-43E2-9C87-3E8B8FB483A4.jpeg

Omega plexis have a tiny (like 1mm in diameter) etched in the middle of the plexi. Hardly noticeable with the bear eye. I was merely mentioning this as an example for an opinion (vs. straight information) as you were looking for “100% originality”. Personally, a generic replacement crystal could never put me off a nice watch. They get scruffy over the decades and were regularly replaced at services. Sometimes, people are a bit cheap (or Omega didn’t offer the plexi anymore) and a watchmaker would simply use a generic one. It’s very common.

Not the best pictures, but have a look if you can spot it:

EE3E662F-F106-4DAB-A443-0E82D3B3FC69.jpeg 62730038-B5E4-4F20-8619-494F081793A5.jpeg
4AF69C70-1627-4707-99A7-B229F52EF18B.jpeg
160CB2DE-A7C7-43E2-9C87-3E8B8FB483A4.jpeg
Oh yeah okay that’s pretty neat. I had no clue. I agree, a small detail like that wouldn’t necessarily deter me from buying a nice piece! Thanks for the help!