Forums Latest Members

Help on a vintage Hermes from 30 to 40's

1. durri70 Mar 26, 2019

Hi to all of you :O)
    the seller is offering me this vintage Hermes watch for a very cheap price, he said that the watch is not working but I guess because there is no crown , no chance to wind the watch. That's the risk I may have as no chance to open the watch either. I am searching online but I don't find any similar, does any of you have a similar watch ?
    how much can be worth after a proper cleaning , changing glass and hopefully no damage on the caliber.
    the pictures are terrible but for this kind of hunting that's all I have right now.
    thanks,
    David
    IMG_2644.PNG IMG_2645.PNG IMG_2646.PNG

2. Canuck Mar 26, 2019

Chrome case, finish quite worn, not running, dial is so-so (missing lume). You would have to consider what you might end up with after spending a bunch of money on repairs. Maybe give him what he wants with the proviso he’ll refund your money if you don’t like the prognosis once you have it checked out. I predict not a lot of enthusiasm on the MB for this as a project watch. Better to build a collection buying watches that are in good shape and need little if any work, rather than to built a collection buying repairs.

3. durri70 Mar 26, 2019

thanks for your comments. I see that the case is chrome but on the back case show Fond acier inoxidable.... so may be it's a wrong case too.
    in this case I can get money refund so I may have to skip the shopping unless he gives it really cheap. The watchmaker will be happy as needs a lot of work this watch.... honestly don't like surprises when buy a watch like this as not easy to find parts from that age.

4. Canuck Mar 26, 2019

The case back is marked stainless steel, and I firmly believe it is the original case back. A steel back on a chrome case is a usual combination. The watch is not so old that parts would likely be a problem. But if you buy it, by the time you have it serviced and start wearing it, I hope the amount you will have spent on it doesn’t bother you.

5. durri70 Mar 26, 2019

I didn't know that steel case back had combination with case chrome :O) , now I know something new. What bothers the most is the lume , as I don't like to relume , thanks again

6. bobbee Mar 29, 2019

The dial looks to be good and is a beautiful one.
    Canuck is correct about everything, but if you are confident in your watchmaker or your own skills, a decent discount could make this a worthwhile project.
    The tiniest dab of clear nail varnish with a finely-pointed pick would seal the lume, just needs a steady hand!