Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo Jun 18, 2013

Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this, but I searched the forum and didn't find anything that could help me out.

I've recently bought a Constellation C Shape from a reliable vintage watch shop in another city, but the thing is that it does not seem to be running in the automatic, only hand-winding. I've been wearing it everyday since I bought it, but it always stops working and then I have to wind it again. Funnily enough, if I shake it a bit, it does work, but only for a couple of seconds, and then it stops again. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Another question I have regarding the crown is: when pulled off totally, nothing happens when I turn it; at the first stop it adjusts the time, but if I want to adjust the calendar I simply have to go on adjusting the time forever.

Thanks a lot for your help, guys!

2. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2013

Sounds like it needs servicing, and maybe some parts.

Got pictures?

3. dantaspaulo Jun 18, 2013

I've just taken these with my iPhone. Not great quality, but I hope it does the job. Thank you!

photo (1).JPG photo (2).JPG
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 18, 2013

Have you fully hand wound the watch? Auto-wind is only to keep the mainspring topped up, NOT to wind the watch.

Caliber 564 is a quick-set date, second stop should advance the date, if it doesn't there are issues with the quick-set mechanism.

5. dantaspaulo Jun 18, 2013

I did wind it fully -- or so I think. I have a 30T2 which has a nice clicking when winding, but this 564 seems to be harder and havier to wind as I hear no sound at all and I don't know when to stop. As soon as I feel that the crown is more resistant than usual I stop winding. Perhaps I'm not winding enough, then? Would you take it to a watchmaker just due to the date problem or is it not worth it?

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 18, 2013

Being a cal 564, the quick-set date mechanism is engaged by pulling the crown out to the third position (as far as it will go) and the date clicks over during that motion. So you don't turn the crown to change the date. Try pulling the crown out firmly to it most extreme position. If the date doesn't change, then there is probably a fault in one or more of four parts in the date change system.

As ULF says, it could well be a repair job.

Cheers

Desmond

7. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2013

Your watch needs to be serviced. Stop fiddling around with it before you REALLY screw it up. Get it to a watchmaker to have the internals cleaned, repaired, oiled, and adjusted.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  8. dantaspaulo Jun 18, 2013

Thanks guys. I'll take it to a watchmaker and have it serviced. :)

9. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2013

Thank you! I hate to see any C-case suffering.

MKelley and dantaspaulo like this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 18, 2013

Nothing more needs to be said.

This thread should remain dormant until the OP post pics of the revived Connie.

:coffee:

11. dantaspaulo Jul 3, 2013

Quick update: I had it serviced by a good watchmaker and he replaced part of the date mechanism and also a wheel. I'll post some pictures as soon as the watch arrives.

Then again, thank you for all your invaluable advice. I've been learning *a lot* from reading this forum.

12. Alpenschneerot Jul 5, 2013

Hi Dennis,
    here an example of a C-case 168.029 with yellow gold top, which had to suffer a lot in her prior life.
    I purchased it on the Bay from a German seller with original papers.
    The case was overpolished and the knurled bezel was lost? Normally I don`t buy vintage Omegas in such a condition.
    But I love those silky guilloche dials and finally I purchased it.
    I have sent the watch to Omega in Biel. There they made a complete overhaul of the movement, replaced the corroded hands,reset the knurled bezel and brought back the case in original condition. The result you see in the picture.
    In my collection no watch has to suffer any longer:) .
    Reiner IMG_1144[1].JPG IMG_1172[1].JPG

MKelley, Pete568 and dantaspaulo like this.
  13. dantaspaulo Jul 8, 2013

Yet another update. C-shape came home and as soon as I tried to adjust the date I ended up removing the whole crown. No, I did not pull it with too much strenght -- I was as gentle as humanly possible. I managed to put it back in place, but then I noticed that the watch is gaining some 10min/day. I guess I should just send it back to the watchmaker... or is there any way in which I can adjust this myself?

Really upsetting... bought this pretty Connie a month ago and never actually got to wear it. :(

14. Alpenschneerot Jul 8, 2013

Hi dantaspaulo,
    greetings to Copa Cabanha!
    I think, it would be better, to give the watch to your lokal Omega dependance to send it to Bienne.
    This is not really cheap, but there they make all that`s possible.Please look at my little story above!
    I think the price will be about 500 Euros.
    Reiner

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 9, 2013

Send it back to the watchmaker and get them to actually fix it. any self-respecting watchmaker should be positively embarrassed to return a watch running that fast.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 9, 2013

If the watch was sent through the mail or shipped in any way, I would have it demagnetized first. Although it's rare, I have had a couple watches that left my shop running perfectly fine, end up at the other end running way off, and the most likely reason is magnetism.

Of course the crown/stem issue is a whole other matter. It should not just pop out, so something is likely worn (stem or detent) that is allowing that to happen or if the stem was replaced, it may have been cut too short.

Cheers, Al

dantaspaulo likes this.
  17. MKelley Jul 11, 2013

+1

18. MKelley Jul 11, 2013

Agreed 100%:thumbsup: Return it!

19. dantaspaulo Jul 11, 2013

Update: watchmaker called and said he had to demagnetize it. You were right, Al. It was shipped and apparently Airport x-ray messed it up. The watchmaker made a point of sending it again by ground post now. It might take longer, but it might solve the problem.

Thanks for all your input!