Forums Latest Members
  1. jcr1973 Dec 3, 2015

I have an Omega Speedmaster 1962 105 002, which belonged to my father. The watch has never been maintained, he broke the glass, and mess around with the time being kept in a box. Continues to operate although it dropped two hands.

I want to restore it. Should I take it to Omega Mexico service or a recommended a watchmaker in Mexico?
    Are there are problems with the 321 caliber being serviced by omega?

Etp095 likes this.
  2. jcr1973 Dec 3, 2015

Etp095 likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 3, 2015

Hi, welcome.

The watch is in pretty rough shape, but it was your father's, right? I'd get it fixed up. I would personally look into a good relume for the dial, maybe Jack at IWW?

Definitely get the movement serviced. If you take it to Omega, they will likely replace the dial and hands with modern ones. That's ok, as long as you get the originals back. They have value, even in rough shape. Besides, that would allow you to send the original dial for a touch up.

Given the state of the watch, it may need at least an overhaul, and quite likely a bit more. Be ready to spend soewhere around $1000 to get it serviced.

Movement number is in the range for an 002. I don't know if it's proven, but I think th baton hands were on the slightly higher range. This watch may have had original alpha hands replaced a long time ago with the newer baton style. Again, don't know if this is fact, and generally, either are acceptable for this reference. In any event, the chrono hand is wrong for the reference as are the hour and minute hands. The pushers are also for a different reference, but a service should be able to take care of that too.

More reading, http://speedmaster101.com/105-002/

Enjoy the journey!

Edited Dec 3, 2015
  4. Etp095 Dec 5, 2015

I wouldn't refinish the dial, just service the movement. That's a very nice watch, and belonging to your dad, is the icing on the cake. Are you in Mexico City?

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. JohnSteed Dec 5, 2015

Hi @jcr1973

Welcome to OmegaForums !!

By the pics posted I'd say you know a thing or two on what's needed to evaluate an ole timepiece

I hope someone here with experience at Omega México will offer helpful comments, but for an ole favorite like yours the usual advice is to find an experienced watchmaker that will respect your wishes as to what's being restored

As an heirloom watch, you need to know what exactly you'd like to do to restore it before doing anything

FWIW I too would say - do a movement service, get a new crystal and learn some more...before you venture further than that. Otherwise you may do regrettable harm to a fine watch

Best wishes

Etp095 likes this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 5, 2015

With a family piece, this is an easy one. Movement service, new crystal, and that is it.

No polish, no new parts that will take away from the patina and character.

Get is fixed up, running like a top, and put it on a cool vintage style leather strap and wear it in good health.

7. helloafrica Dec 6, 2015

service the movement , and put a new plexi on it , thats it !
    and keep every scratch as a story of life

8. marturx Dec 6, 2015

Minute and hour hand + the chrono sec hand are later replacements. I would have tried to source the correct Alpha hour and minute hand and a correct chrono sec hand for this one. Maybe @watchyouwant can be of help. He has sourced these hands in the past. Maybe he has a set left.

Personally I would have refilled the hour markings. I know it´s like swearing in church to some, but I find them ugly on this one. A skilled watchmaker can put in a nicely "aged" mass. If it´s done symphatetically, IMO it´s equal to put new mass in the hands, which I think is OK to do, generally speaking. I know some or, even many, collectors would disagree with me here. But this is my opinion. It´s a matter of taste. After all it´s a watch meant to be worn, not to be on display in a museum

oddboy likes this.
  9. Kwijibo Dec 6, 2015

Absolutly right! Son't change anything. If you do keep the parts! it'as worth money. A sliht polish on the case should be fine. Also just a polishing on the back of the sub dials hands.
    the main probleme is that your hour minute and chrono hands are not correct. Should be looking like this.
    [​IMG]

Etp095 likes this.
  10. jcr1973 Dec 6, 2015

Etp095 likes this.
  11. jcr1973 Dec 6, 2015

Yes, I am. But in Mexico, it is difficult, to find a honest watchmaker,especially in the historical center.

Etp095 likes this.
  12. Kwijibo Dec 6, 2015

You can send it to me in France, many good watchmakers. The movement seems clean but if the oils has hardenned, it's risky to run it, you may damage some parts. On a 321 it would be a pity. Guys here will certainly telle you if Omega still have DON bezels or not. If yes it's worth sending it to Bienne IMO

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 6, 2015

@Kwijibo, is that one you posted yours?

14. Kwijibo Dec 6, 2015

unfortunately no...

15. JohnSteed Dec 6, 2015

As good a place as any is STS in the UK, if you're gonna mail it around the globe... I haven't us d them but the word on this street is that they're great...have parts etc. see -->

http://www.swisstimeservices.co.uk

@photo500 is a member here and you can search to view his work. Does pretty good work

marco likes this.
  16. JohnSteed Dec 6, 2015

Think Neil sold that a while ago