Forums Latest Members
  1. Bluebogartlabel Oct 20, 2019

Hello All

Can I please ask for your help in identifying the specific model and age of my watch? It was found in my late Grandmother's jewellery box which came to me when she died 25 years ago.

My Mother believes it was my late Father's watch which he was given as a 21st Birthday watch although she cannot be totally sure. If this was the case it would date the watch to around 1955.

I only started wearing the watch about two months ago and I love it and it looks beautiful. To think it was my Dad's watch gives me a wonderful feeling every time I look at it.

I've attached a three pictures of the watch although I don't know how to take the back off.

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

IMG_20191020_1014557.jpg IMG_20191020_1013041.jpg IMG_20191020_1012119.jpg
    Spruce, Sidnos and KingCrouchy like this.
  2. Canuck Oct 20, 2019

I think you are close with the 1955 date. But more information is required for us to assist. Take the watch and your camera to a watchmaker’s shop and ask them to pop the back off, and take pictures of the mechanism, and inside of the case back. Note down any and all numbers you see on the movement, in case they don’t show well in the picture. Ignore any haphazardly hand scrawled numbers inside the case back as they will be repair numbers, and are of little if any help. Good looking watch, by the way.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 20, 2019

Probably a reference 2849 which would be post 1956, anything earlier would have the date at 6 o'clock.

The dial (and hands) have been replaced at some point, it is typical of "service" dial, not an uncommon thing to have happen during routine maintenance back in the day.

I would stop wearing it until you have it serviced. Be sure to get nice clear photos of the inside of the case back and movement at that time.

4. Bluebogartlabel Oct 21, 2019

Thank you to both Canuck and X350 for taking the time to look at my post and reply.

There is a proper old watch shop in town which services and repairs watches. I'll go and see them on Saturday and ask if they will remove the back for me. Hopefully they will and I'll take some pictures and make notes of any numbers or writing.

Thanks again

Chris