Forums Latest Members

Help of Bracelet re installation

1. GMTspeedmaster Jan 20, 2019

I always find it hard to reinstall the steel bracelet back on my speedy. I dont have any problem with my other watches. any tips? thanks

2. TimtimeIntl Jan 20, 2019

I've been known to fight it also. Rolex as well. Best to separate the buckle so both bracelet sides are separate. I'm right handed. I like to hold the head in my left hand with back exposed. This frees left thumb and forefinger to support bracelet end with the head held in there somewhere between palm and fingers. I work from back and slide end between lugs in till the spring bar on top side hits upper lug. Again slide in from back so spring bar rubs on back sides of lugs and screwdriver or spring bar tool only can touch in back. Careful digging around! I try to keep spring bar raised a tad so buttom lug (opposite end) starts its way in so I can then work bottom spring bar tip above the lug. You really are sliding end piece in parallel with spring bar ends still sticking out in the way. Then using thumb and forefinger I apply pressure so upper spring bar tip (bottom as well if it has not started inside lug) which still is sticking proud is captured so I can now apply pressure with a screwdriver and I can lower it till both ends are now trapped between the lugs. Since bracelets fit so snugly usually both spring bar tips are floating waiting for you to use your left hand forefinger and thumb along with help from right, which hopefully now does not need to hold the screwdriver, as spring bar is between lugs. Keep massaging till click click and all in place. Always wiggle to make sure the tips are fully engaged so bracelet is secure. Now do other side then reset bracelet to length. Then wiggle everything again and pull pretty hard because you do now want your Speedy to fall off while waving to a friend as you drive by! I watched a local Rolex expert snick a band on in seconds doing it this way. Good to practice with a looser or lesser value watch or even better yet with a watch with leather band just to get used to holding the watch in left hand. Tim

GMTspeedmaster likes this.
  3. redzer007 Jan 20, 2019

First and foremost make sure you are using a good quality tool with a fine fork. Makes life much much easier with speedies. Also concur on separation of bracelet at clasp.

4. TimtimeIntl Jan 20, 2019

Forked tool is good but does not usually fit in slot on back side of many end pieces. Without a fork slipping is easier and jamming into is no fun but fingers heal. Gouges in lugs do not so again be careful. Good to learn on some older lesser valued watches first.

5. elmar2001 Jan 21, 2019

6. rob#1 Jan 21, 2019

Remember also that the spring bars for the bracelet are 1mm shorter than the bars used for straps. I found it almost impossible to install the bracelet with the longer bars, but a breeze with the short ones

duc likes this.
  7. GMTspeedmaster Jan 21, 2019

Maybe thats why. Im using the extra spring bars from the set to install it. Will try the original ones. Thank you

8. elmar2001 Jan 21, 2019

The spring bars for the straps are bent, the bars for bracelet are straight

9. duc Jan 21, 2019

The springbars for the NATO straps in my "big box" kit were not bent; just longer.

10. bikehomero Jan 21, 2019

Thanks, what demision is the fork supposed to be? Seems to be 0,8; 1 and 3mm available.

11. GMTspeedmaster Jan 21, 2019

You guys are correct . I used the original spring ans my bergeon and bang! Smooth thank you all. I was about to go to my jeweler to have him do it.

rob#1 likes this.
  12. BradleyJ. Jan 23, 2019

I just put my bracelet back on for the first time since going with a strap and it went on like butter. Original pins and the supplied Omega tool. I was amazed. I have seikos that refuse to let you go back to a bracelet Haha I love Omega more and more each day :thumbsup: