Forums Latest Members
  1. SeaMasterGee Apr 3, 2024

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum as I just acquired a beautiful Seamaster second-hand from a small vintage watch shop in the Ginza area of Tokyo. I paid roughly $800 for it and immediately fell in love with the shop and the overall aesthetics of the watch.

I only had 5 minutes, but I knew I had to get this watch. The owner mentioned a few things that I can't confirm, and I could use some help. He mentioned it being one of the last "Consolation" Seamasters made, dating back to the 1950s. It's been almost impossible to confirm this as the two are separate categories. I do notice more of this style (flush lugs w/ case) coming out of the early 70s.

My questions:

1. Any ideas on the year and model of this watch?
    2. It feels like lightweight acrylic glass, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to spend top dollar on an Omega band directly from their site. Any thoughts here?

IMG_6455.jpeg IMG_6456.jpeg IMG_6457.jpeg

2. Dan S Apr 3, 2024

It has nothing to do with a Constellation, however the movement may be the same movement used in some Constellations. Maybe that's what the salesman meant. If you can have the watch opened, all the information you need will be inside the case-back and on the movement,

Maybe someone else can tell you the reference number from just looking, I'm more accustomed to seeing cases like this on Geneve models. Also, with the black inlay markers, I'm more accustomed to seeing hands with some black inlay. It would be nice if you knew the reference number because then you could search for similar variants.

An acrylic crystal is correct.

No, I would definitely not buy an Omega strap, there are plenty of higher quality straps available for less from great sellers.

3. Shabbaz Apr 3, 2024

@dsio wrote a article about this model. I will look it up. In the past I had two of these.

Scarecrow Boat and Dan S like this.
  4. Shabbaz Apr 3, 2024

5. Shabbaz Apr 3, 2024

6. Dan S Apr 3, 2024

Shabbaz likes this.
  7. Shabbaz Apr 3, 2024

And last here is mine.. : )

1000041118.jpg
    Dan S likes this.
  8. Dan S Apr 3, 2024

I had so much respect for you until I saw the NATO. OP, don't model this behavior. :D

DaveK, Quanj2, Geezer and 2 others like this.
  9. Shabbaz Apr 3, 2024

Good to see that OF operates 24/7. It is now 4:17 am in the Netherlands (woke up suddenly and can't sleep anymore) and it's nice to know that I have something to do at night. Otherwise you'll just be staring at the ceiling... :)

10. Dan S Apr 3, 2024

The US west-coasters can keep things rolling until the Europeans wake up. And then of course, the sun rises over Australia, truly bringing the forum to life. :thumbsup:

11. Shabbaz Apr 3, 2024

Haha. Yes, that’s great to know!
    And the Europeans are grateful to the American and Australian members (and all the others) for this!

12. Aroxx Sets his watch Apr 3, 2024

I don't know, I have to work overnight a couple times a month unfortunately and the forum is a main source of entertainment. There is definitely a dead spot at night where the boredom sets in after all posts have been scoured (US Eastern). :(

Dan S likes this.
  13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 3, 2024

The same thing happened to me this morning. This forum definitely provides entertainment:) lots to read in the stories section!

14. Shabbaz Apr 3, 2024

Yes. That's the moment when I go to Wikipedia and read about random historical people or events. Or I start buying stuff which I dont really need. Like watches.

sheepdoll likes this.
  15. SeaMasterGee Apr 4, 2024

Thank you for the notes! I've decided to look for some vintage straps and clasps and it should better fit the case.

16. SeaMasterGee Apr 4, 2024

17. SeaMasterGee Apr 4, 2024

Very cool pic and post! Nato is an option that I have tried to get into my collection for some time!