Forums Latest Members
  1. Y3RAD Jun 20, 2013

Hi All this is the first time of posting.

I turned 40 at Christmas and have promised myself a treat. I have always loved Omega as a brand as I feel it is an understated brand.

I am looking at the Planet Ocean Titanium 45.5mm on the blue rubber strap with the white stitching. I would never look to sell this in the future as I would hand it down to my son, so i am buying it on looks and feel. I have found it for £3800 which is £1200 under my budget.

My question to you all is what would you say is a better nicer looking watch than this?

I just want to make sure I make the right choice and not kick myself later.....

Thanks in advice for any help.

regards

Brad

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 20, 2013

If you are only going to get one watch, get whatever you think looks and feels best. Think about size (diameter) and thickness. I find that 45mm size to be almost clown shoe big. The PO is also to thick and heavy for me. But no doubt they are excellent watches.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

In your son's time an extra large 45mm watch may be a bit dated. Already now these larger models (IMHO) are losing some of their chic popularity. I would also consider 42mm.

4. Hijak Jun 20, 2013

Your best bet is to go to an AD and try some different pieces on...out of my modern Omegas I'm in love with my 40mm Speedmaster. I originally thought the Speedmaster was not for me...until I had it on my wrist. This will help avoid that "kicking yourself" feeling later. And honestly you will be surprised...I think many of us here started out thinking "I'm going to get one watch, really," as you will find this hobby is quite addicting!

Good Luck,
    Ed

5. OttawaMan Jun 20, 2013

Absolutely try a bunch on...I went into a jeweler looking for a TAG...once on my wrist it looked awful...moved over to the Omega counter and tried an SMP and a Speedmaster Chrono...I found the Chrono too thick and discovered I just couldn't take off the SMP with skeleton arms...many hate the arms but it's one of the things that sold me on it. It's all personal preference...but try a bunch on...it's funny how different watches look on your wrist vs. in the display case vs. in an advert.

6. Y3RAD Jun 20, 2013

Thanks Guy's for you feed back.

I will go and try some more on, my alternative was the Speedmater Racing in yellow. Maybe listen to Hijak and put the remaining £1200 towards getting a second watch for Son number two.... or that's what I will tell the wife...

I like the chunky option of the Planet Ocean Titanium as I have thick wrists and Goal Keeper hands...so it did look and feel ok...

I have two other thin watches, one being my grandfathers Seamaster that I wear for work with a suite.

And lastly I am a sucker for the James Bond thing...sad I know but its my guilty secret....

7. ctime3 Jun 22, 2013

If you want to pass this on I would make sure you have the 8500 movement and Si14 which should be in all recent watches. The aqua terra could be a good alternative if you feel the PO is too big. I do agree with the clown shoe size in the 45.5. But the titanium is light as a feather. Plus it is stronger than stainless. (For the passing it on thing.)

8. ulackfocus Jun 22, 2013

Hi Brad. Welcome to ΩF.

Jesus Christ! :p

Okay, sorry for the Christmas birthday joke. I bet it sucked when you were a kid and got those damned "combination" gifts.

Back to the topic now..... Any Omega is a good watch. If you're looking for heirloom quality, I agree with ctime about the caliber 8500.

Oh, and Bond wears a variety of Omegas now; seemingly a different one in each movie.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 23, 2013

.......and makes the fan longing to buy more watches.......smart marketing ploy by Omega.

10. ctime3 Jun 23, 2013

Oh yes but that new aqua terra in blue he wore in Skyfall was amazing.

11. ulackfocus Jun 23, 2013

Why yes, yes it is. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Premaster and Hijak like this.
  12. ctime3 Jun 25, 2013

The 41.5 is now on backorder

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 25, 2013

what is your avatar pic?

14. ctime3 Jun 25, 2013

military school

15. Y3RAD Jun 25, 2013

Part of Skyfall was filmed in the building I manage (the bit where he follows the baddie into the building and hold on to the lift car) and Daniel Craig was wearing the planet ocean when we met him it just made me want one even more.... then the Omega outlet people showed me the titanium and messed with my head..... it is still my 1st choice.... and at 3.8k i think its a good price.....
    Thanks all for your input.....I will post when it rocks up....

16. ctime3 Jun 25, 2013

That is awesome. I hate to mess with your thoughts. I do like the black PO that he wore in the movie. I agree with the gentlemen that suggested 42.5 for size. Bif watches are in for professional athletes. But the 42 is a good size I think. The difference is US dollars is a little over $2,000 but its preference. The titanium is lighter, stronger, and will last the long haul