Forums Latest Members
  1. adriageerz Aug 8, 2018

Hi all !

Two Omega watches for sale on a local Moroccan website interest me; I was thinking that given their affordable price, it could be a good entry point to the vintage Omega universe

Sorry for the poor quality pictures; these are the only ones the seller has.

The first one seems to be a 1961 watch. Gold-plated, caliber 285, model 14714-61-SC.
    View attachment 604318
    View attachment 604319

The second one must date from the late 1950s (?). Stainless steel, caliber 267, model 2900-4.
    View attachment 604320
    View attachment 604321

That said, I have some hesitations:

- Both watches are working according to the seller, but seem very weary and in a relatively/pretty bad shape. The movements seem legit, but I'm not totally sure yet.

- On the caliber 285, the Omega logo seems a little clumsy (has the dial been replaced ? or has the logo come off at some point, and has been "glued" by the owner ? Or is it simply an effect of wear and tear ?)

- As for the calibre 267, the model indicated is the 2900-4. Unfortunately I couldn't find any resources on this particular model: the watches similar to this one which I could find on the net are 2900-1 models. Has the back cover been replaced ?

For approx. 450$ both, do you think it's a good deal ?

Cheers.

2. tyrantlizardrex Aug 8, 2018

If I had to buy one of the two, I'd probably go for the 2900-4 as the least bad.

Although that dial is in a bit of a sorry state. :unsure:

I don't think I'd want to be in for more than $200 for either one.

The 2900-4, is the fourth iteration of the 2900 so nothing to worry about there.

adriageerz likes this.
  3. adriageerz Aug 8, 2018

Awesome. The 2900-4 is actually the one I like the most. :D

Thank you so much for the wise advice ! :thumbsup:

4. Dan S Aug 8, 2018

I agree with @tyrantlizardrex, the ref 2900 would be the better buy, primarily because of the SS case, in my opinion. Frankly, I wouldn't be interested in either one because of the condition. But if you can live with the dial, it's worth a small investment.

adriageerz and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. adriageerz Aug 8, 2018

@Dan S and @tyrantlizardrex, thank you very much for your valuable advice !

You're right. Both watches are in a bad condition.

Meanwhile, another Omega has emerged. I think it's a mid to late sixties Seamaster (cal.552) ?
    Omega Seamaster.jpeg Omega Seamaster 2.jpeg
    caliber 552.JPG

It's working properly, but I don't know (yet) if it's a fake... I'm still waiting for the seller to send me more details.
    Thanks again for your helpful advice ! :)

6. tyrantlizardrex Aug 8, 2018

Doesn’t look like a fake (from the blurry photos), but that’s some nasty dial damage. :thumbsdown: